Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Weight I don't know if my guinea pig is just fat or is pregnant?

katie_

Cavy Slave
I have 2 female guinea pigs and one is very slim and normal weight, but my other one is very round. I'm not sure if she is over eating and is just fat. If this is the case, how would I give her less portions when I want to keep my other guinea pig eating the same? I have posted some pictures of her, I'm not sure if you can really tell.

Attachments

20200622_120633.jpg 20200622_120619.jpg

K4tr1n4

Cavy Slave
I had also this problem with not knowing if she was pregnant or fat but you never actually know. Just watch her weight even better everyday or every few days. And in a month or so you can check if you feel them moving in her I felt pups 2-3 weeks before they gave birth. And I realized that it doesn’t really matter to know just be careful just as a normal and don’t cut off her food just watch who eats the most it also could be a sign bc pregnant piggies eat A LOT but I had two pregnant gp and one ate not as much as the other. And give her unlimited hay water and some veggies every day and pallets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

katie_

Cavy Slave
Thank-you! I will do that

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Yes, you can know, at a certain point.

How old are these pigs?

First, have you turned both pigs over and confirmed that their genitals are the same? if they're not, she's likely pregnant, and you should separate them right away. She can get pregnant within minutes of giving birth, even if it's a premature birth. So the male needs to be out of the cage now. See (broken link removed) for some pictures for comparison.

If you've got two females, is there any chance that she's been with a male recently? If so, how long ago? Guinea pig pregnancies last about 9-10 weeks. If it's been longer than 11 weeks, she's definitely not pregnant.

If you don't have a kitchen scale to weigh them with, you need one. It's the best medical equipment you can have for your pigs. Right now, if you're weighing both of them daily (in the morning before feeding them), you can compare the rate they're gaining. If the chubby one's weight is increasing much more rapidly than the other, she may be pregnant.

It's very unlikely that a guinea pig is ever overweight unless it gets way too many pellets or has some mobility problem that keeps it from moving around. It would be like you being overweight if you ate nothing but salads without dressing.

Once a pregnancy is 5-6 weeks along, you can begin seeing definite signs, and can make some educated guesses about when the pups will come. However, they're can't read the schedule, and they'll get here when they get here. See https://www.guineapigcages.com/foru...inea-pig-is-pregnant-And-how-far-along-is-she.

katie_

Cavy Slave
they are 2 years old and have both been to the vet and confirmed females. I will start to track their weights

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Let's be worry warts for a minute. I've known of vets who couldn't accurately sex guinea pigs. Please do turn them over, together, and check for yourself, because a first pregnancy in a two-year-old guinea pig is very worrisome and dangerous.

If they are the same, and their weights are steady for each of them, I wouldn't worry too much. Guinea pigs are no more the same size and shape than people are. Some are skinny, some are not. Some have sticky-up ears, others don't. Some have roman noses, some look like mice. As long as your pig's increased weight isn't a sign of something going wrong (she's rapidly gaining at this age, for instance), then things are probably ok.

bethj97

Cavy Gazer
I'm really sorry to jump on this thread but I need some help short story got 2 male piggies and one turns out to me female and looks as though she is heavily pregnant im just wondering if anyone can help me please i can feel slight movements but not much 20200723_173856.jpg20200723_085958.jpg

K4tr1n4

Cavy Slave
I'm really sorry to jump on this thread but I need some help short story got 2 male piggies and one turns out to me female and looks as though she is heavily pregnant im just wondering if anyone can help me please i can feel slight movements but not much View attachment 87161View attachment 87162

If you feel something moving then she’s probably pregnant. For how long did you had you piggies and when did you know that he is actually she? Also did you separated them? As on the photos it looks like it’s a pet store cage that is really small

bethj97

Cavy Gazer
I dont know if ots breath movement im no expert, they have been together for 3 months now and only found out 2 days ago she was a girl and looked extremely large yes they are now separated and the cage is plenty big enough for both of them it has 2 teirs

bethj97

Cavy Gazer
She has been eating more also

K4tr1n4

Cavy Slave
She has been eating more also

As my own experience with pregnant guinea pigs there’s a big difference between breathing and feeling pups move but also what I did is placed my guinea pig on my lap and placed my both arms on her belly (four fingers on her belly and thumbs on the back) and LIGHTLY add pressure from one side and I felt something like beans. But you don’t have to worry too much because if she is pregnant she most likely give birth at night and you won’t even realize it all you have to do is wait

bethj97

Cavy Gazer
yes i can feel lumps in her stomach and thankyou for your advise

K4tr1n4

Cavy Slave
yes i can feel lumps in her stomach and thankyou for your advise

No problem and update when she’ll give birth:)

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Here's some information for you: https://www.guineapigcages.com/foru...inea-pig-is-pregnant-And-how-far-along-is-she.

Separate them NOW, like, an hour ago. Sows can get pregnant within minutes of giving birth, whether a regular delivery or a miscarriage. And back-to-back pregnancies are VERY hard on both sows and the second litter of pups, and the death rate is even higher than normal. if you put the cages next to each other, put a lid on HER side. A determined male can push up the lid on his own cage, but he can't lift the lid on another cage.

alicorn2

Cavy Slave
First, have you turned both pigs over and confirmed that their genitals are the same? if they're not, she's likely pregnant, and you should separate them right away. She can get pregnant within minutes of giving birth, even if it's a premature birth. So the male needs to be out of the cage now. See (broken link removed) for some pictures for comparison.
Corrected link: https://www.cavyspirit.com/sexing.htm

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.