Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

To adopt or not to adopt

Cavykid14

Cavy Slave
Well I don't know if you all have read the recent post that I made about my friend having to give away his two guinea pigs but I'm not sure weather or not to adopt, I can support them financially but I just don't think I have enough time to give equal love to all of them. I don't know weather or not I should get them. My brother and my mom of cource say that I shouldn't but I have a 5X3 Cage and a 1X3 2nd story loft and I have a huge 96 Oz. bucket which I fill with timothey hay and I have 2 full bags of plain pellets but I just don't know if I can do it. This is a message to anybody out there with a lot of piggers. How do you do it? I have to make up my mind by tommorow but I just don't know if I can.

JennG

Cavy Slave
How many do you have now? I have five and am thinking of adopting at least two more. I know my girls don't get enough of me time or floor time that I'd like to give them but I also know that their cage is huge and they are being well taken care of. My son also helps out with lap time in the evenings. If you are financially able to care for them, it may be worth looking into it. Where would they go otherwise? You may be the best alternative. Good luck.

BabyGrl

Cavy Slave
I have four and it really doeesn't seem to be any different than when I had two. I fill their hay every morning, give them pellets, and change their water. This takes under 5 minutes. I cut up their veggies in the morning which takes another 5 minutes. I give them half the veggies in the morning and half in the evening. I have a huge 4x6 so when I want to spend time with them but am short on time I will use and extra piece of fleece and sit on it in the middle of their cage and give them some love. I give them a little bit of lap time everyday but they mostly like to hang out in their cage. Like I said it is not a big deal for me but you have to do what is right for you. If you are having serious doubts then maybe now is not the time and you should wait until you are absolutly sure you are ready. You don't want to make a decision that you regret. There will always be pigs available to adopt so if you need to wait awhile then do so.

aqh88

Cavy Slave
I have 9 guinea pigs and I can't tell you who has been out how long every day. There isn't much structured floortime. Chris and I just pick up whoever we see and can catch at various times of the day. Right now Maple is sitting on the couch next to me carrying on a guinea pig conversation. Yesterday Pistachio watched the first half of a movie and Peppermint saw the 2nd half, Snickers and Toffee ran around on the bed for awhile, and I saw Chris carrying Cinnamon around.
Most of them were living in tiny cages and weren't wanted so if I didn't have them they would only get out once a week or less when their cage gets cleaned. A few don't really like to come out anyway. Orbit just sits there during floortime and he throws a huge fit whenever you pick him up so mostly he stays in his cage and just gets petted on the nose when we walk by or give them hay.

Johanna

Cavy Slave
More guinea pigs = more poop. I hate cleaning cages more than anything. I feel like whats the point. The cage will look good for half a day. I have four boys and after christmas it will be five. I have has as few as one at a time and as many as 5. I would never have more than 5 unless I was fostering. It is impossible for me to work full time and spend quality time with each pig every day. I also have 3 cats and other critters at home to care for. You need to look into how much free time you have. Will other people in the home help with socialization? I spend time with the group every day but spend time with each individual every other day. I know my limit and wouldnt want to exceed it. If you think you could provide a good home for them and you have the time you should go for it. If you think the pigs would be better somewhere else then you shouldnt take them.

homeschoolmama

Cavy Slave
Cavykid, I know you said you wanted to hear from those with many piggies... and I only have 3 myself, but here's how I feel. If you are worried about getting more piggies, whether or not you can afford them, I would not do it. Trust your instincts. Something about having more piggies makes you uncomfortable. Even if you can't put your finger on why, listen to yourself. They do take a lot of time. And they do take a bit of effort to keep happy/healthy. If you feel that you aren't ready for more at this time, then don't stress yourself by taking them anyway. (((((hugs!!!))))

♥pepsi♥

Cavy Slave
you may not think you can take "equal" care of them all, BUT YOU CAN! it just takes alittle more effort

Cavyslavesteph

Cavy Slave
I saw this thread and thought it may help you. Someone wanted to give their piggies up for adoption because they felt they didn't have enough time for them. It seemed to be the consensus that as long as the pigs are well cared for and have a friend, they don't necessarily need laptime everyday. Of course you'd want to spend time with your pigs and take them out for laptime, but it doesn't seem to concern the pigs if they don't get equal laptime every day. We take Sally out far more because she is easier to catch. Eleanor and Lizzie get their laptimes too, but it is not equal. They are perfectly happy, and always well cared for, which seems to be the bigger concern. You need to make the decision, but it seems your major concern was equal laptime, so I thought this would help.
https://guineapigcages.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12132

Johanna

Cavy Slave
I agree 100% with that link. That was what I was trying to say earlier, but I couldnt get it out that well. My piggies have fresh hay, veggies, good quality food, but they dont get floor time or lap time every single day. I have the finances to feed them, but dont always have the time to baby them. I love every one of my boys more than I can express, I talk to them more than three times a day. I give them a good life, but just have time constraints and do the best that I can with the time that I have. I had three of them out tonight, and all of them out last night. If you think that you can afford them both money and time wise for the next 5 or so years, then you should definately go for it. If I were you I would take them.

Johanna

Cavy Slave
My pigs seem more interested in me when I just come up to the cage and talk to them than when I take them out of their cage. But what they love the most is floor time with veggies. You put them all out on the floor and put veggies in your lap. They will all come sit in your lap and eat veggies. it is so much fun. If you try this, you will want these piggies. I guarantee it.

Kriket

Cavy Slave
Cavyslavesteph said:
I saw this thread and thought it may help you. Someone wanted to give their piggies up for adoption because they felt they didn't have enough time for them. It seemed to be the consensus that as long as the pigs are well cared for and have a friend, they don't necessarily need laptime everyday. Of course you'd want to spend time with your pigs and take them out for laptime, but it doesn't seem to concern the pigs if they don't get equal laptime every day. We take Sally out far more because she is easier to catch. Eleanor and Lizzie get their laptimes too, but it is not equal. They are perfectly happy, and always well cared for, which seems to be the bigger concern. You need to make the decision, but it seems your major concern was equal laptime, so I thought this would help.
https://guineapigcages.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12132

I always wondered if the others were jealous because I was able to catch Babe easier and therefore hold her more. I figured out that they are not, in fact, jealous, because they really don't care if I get them out anyway. Neither does babe, but she at least lets me catch her

Kriket

Cavy Slave
ANYWAY, there was supposed to be more to that post but chaos broke out here and now it's too late to edit it, but my feeling is this. If you feel that you can financially support them, but aren't sure if you can support them emotionally for yourself, I wouldn't get them. You would guilt trip yourself about not paying enough attention to them, and eventually they would end up on the adoptables board because you wanted them cared for better.

JennG

Cavy Slave
I'm glad you posted that thread. I always worried that I wasn't able to give them enough lap time. And Snickers gets more than the other girls, she's developed a cool bond with my 10yr old. But I know their cage is big enough and they have each other for major company time and they get fresh veggies 2x a day, water bottles are updated daily, hay replenished every night as well as the pellet dishes. They seem to like me the best when I'm handing out veggies or refilling the hay. :)

LBKK

Cavy Slave
I don't really agree. Sounds to me like if they aren't taken, they'll end up in a shelter anyways!!! Personally, I'd take them. If you are really having a hard time with caring for them, then find a SUITABLE home for them. In the meantime, at least they'd be with someone who knows how to care for them and will provide a proper home. And you never know, you may find that caring for 2 more really isn't that much of a difference. Id go for it!!!:D

Kriket said:
ANYWAY, there was supposed to be more to that post but chaos broke out here and now it's too late to edit it, but my feeling is this. If you feel that you can financially support them, but aren't sure if you can support them emotionally for yourself, I wouldn't get them. You would guilt trip yourself about not paying enough attention to them, and eventually they would end up on the adoptables board because you wanted them cared for better.

SkinnyPiggys

Cavy Slave
Hi CavyKid14,

You are doing the right thing by figuring this out before you take in 2 more piggies. If you don't take them does your friend have another suitable home lined up? If not, maybe you can foster them until you find the perfect home for them. In the meantime you may find that you are ok with keeping them.

Good luck and thanks for caring about the piggies!lol

~Julie

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
If you are sure you have the finances and time to clean cage, feed and water, give hay and can give as much attention as you can, I say go for it if your parent(s) are in agreement. They being the adults have the ultimate responsibility over the pigs to make sure they have good lives. If you are a teen, you should always respect your parent(s) decisions regarding these types of matters.

It is true that laptime is for human benefit because pigs don't really give a darn whether they get lap time or not. Floortime is beneficial at least several times a week if you can't give it every day. It promotes exercise and exploration and gives the pigs a change of scenery.

nonamian_girl

Cavy Slave
Maybe you can take them in and then find someone to adopt them?

Cavykid14

Cavy Slave
Well I'm not going to answer all of your questions as that would take far too long but I will answer the ones that I feel need an answering to:
-If they don't go in my care then they will go to a pet store or adoption place in detroit which doesn't know anything about guinea pigs, if I don't take them in then they are most likely going to a home (If they even do) that knows not even half as much as the cavy slave should know. Also I don't know if they would all get along, They most likely would but you never know. Right now the two guinea pigs that are at my friends house live together and they like eachother so if I had those two meet the two I have then they might be friends and this might be a good idea. Basically every other month when I buy all my resupply stuff what ever money I DONT spend will go to their emergency stuff (I already baught a bunch of toys and treats so those I won't need to worry about).

-It won't be much of a problem taking care of the pigs as far as cleaning up after them becuase I switched to fleece and I have only had to vacuum it up once and the bedding underneeth only needs to be replaced in the 3 pee spots every 3 days.

-Lap time might be a little hard but I normally regulate it every day a new pig gets more time than the others and that seems to work fine for snickers (He will now let me pick him up with out having to chace him) but I just don't know if 4 day intervals will do any pig any good. and mind you that pumba ( the one from my friends house) was abused and he has scars on his bottom where the other guinea pigs would pick on him and beat him up but herbie actually used to be a show guinea pig and has a rare color about him with ruby eyes. They are both good piggers and I think I'm going to get them after all I mean they need me. Its me or a 12'' X 24'' old fish tank for probably the rest of their life (I'm refering to a pet store cage if you don't already know).

Percy's Mom

Cavy Slave
I think in your heart, you've probably already made your decision. You seem to really care about the piggies and want them in a good home. From your responses, money, cleaning, and feeding won't be a problem, and as other people have mentioned, laptime is more for the person than the piggy. I would take them in to insure that they have a caring home, and if you find that it really won't work as a forever home, foster them until you can find someone who will love them properly.

Cavykid14

Cavy Slave
Thats what I was thinking about doing. Just keeping them for a little while and if things aren't going good or something comes up in my family where it eats all my money then yes I would have to give them away but other than that I want to insure that they do have a good home.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.