Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

C&C Child-proofing a C&C cage

MagsandMildred

Cavy Gazer
I have searched high and low for an answer to this, and can’t find anything! So I wondered if anyone had any helpful suggestions.

We have 2 x 3-year-old female guinea pigs, in a 3x4 c&c in our living room. However we also have a 10 month old son, whose main play area is the same room. He is absolutely fascinated by them, but until now he mainly squealed at them from afar. However has now started pulling himself up on the side of the cage, trying to get to them. I am worried he will get bitten, but also worried he might hurt the guinea pigs as he is a little too young to understand “gentle!”

Due to the layout of the room we have no way of penning in the baby, so instead we need to baby proof the cage! We were thinking about wrapping something around the sixes so he can’t pull up, eg mesh or Perspex but can’t work out if this is the best option.

Any ideas about how to baby proof a c&c?

Thanks in advance!

Thunder

Cavy Slave
You could put a pen around the cage. I don’t know how to do links but this is what it looks like. Child-proofing a C&C cage

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Closet shelving is very sturdy, and comes in various widths. You could zip-tie closet shelving along each side, which would make the cage much sturdier. That would work for a while, but it won't be long before he can climb into the cage with them. Have you considered reconfiguring the cage and putting it up on a table?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.