Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Diet Wanting to switch over to KMS Hayloft

scoottie

Cavy Slave
I am wanting to switch over to KMS Hayloft now that they have free shipping the problem being I could switch the pellets over my boys are not picky when it comes to that but with hay they are really picky if its not orchard they will stick their noses up at it and run away. So my question is do you think they will like say the bluegrass hay? Do you think it may have a similar taste?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
KMS Hayloft used to send a small package so you could try it out. They're under new management since then, but you could email them and ask.

I think Small Pet Select has orchard grass, but wouldn't want to bet on it.

scoottie

Cavy Slave
KMS Hayloft used to send a small package so you could try it out. They're under new management since then, but you could email them and ask.

I think Small Pet Select has orchard grass, but wouldn't want to bet on it.

Small Pet select is what they are eating now and they obviously like it im just trying to get hay cheaper and KMS hayloft has hay that is cheaper than the 10 pound boxes that I get from Small Pet Select.

spy9doc

Cavy Slave
Small Pet select is what they are eating now and they obviously like it im just trying to get hay cheaper and KMS hayloft has hay that is cheaper than the 10 pound boxes that I get from Small Pet Select.

Why are you buying 10# boxes? I buy 40 lbs. at a time and it is very cost-effective.

If you are thinking that the hay will be more fresh in small batches, think again. In most cases, hay is harvested once a year in late summer. The companies then sell that same hay over the next year. Find a hay that your cavies AND you like and order in a larger quantity.

scoottie

Cavy Slave
Why are you buying 10# boxes? I buy 40 lbs. at a time and it is very cost-effective.

If you are thinking that the hay will be more fresh in small batches, think again. In most cases, hay is harvested once a year in late summer. The companies then sell that same hay over the next year. Find a hay that your cavies AND you like and order in a larger quantity.

Why do I only get 10 pound boxes? Its because its the only thing that is allowed size wise in the house I live with someone who is allergic to all hays so its the only one that I can get that works for everyone. Do I think that its more fresh in small batches? No. I do not think that at all if I could get 40 or even 50 pounds of hay I would. I also contacted KMS as well about Bluegrass and they said if your piggies are Orchard fans they would like the Bluegrass as well.

spy9doc

Cavy Slave
I live with someone who is allergic to all hays so its the only one that I can get that works for everyone. I also contacted KMS as well about Bluegrass and they said if your piggies are Orchard fans they would like the Bluegrass as well.

Ahhh.....consider me corrected. :p I was just trying to save you money. I find it interesting that you say this person is "allergic to all hays"? My husband is wildly allergic to timothy to the point of having terrible symptoms including a migraine. It took us a while to find something else and in the meantime we had to remove all hay, feed the boys corn husks for roughage, and had to have sofa, carpet, walls, drapes professionally cleaned. We found our answer in bluegrass and eventually were able to use orchard as well.

I had a disagreement with the previous owner of KMS and refused to give them my business after two dissatisfying incidents. I moved to another company that has since discontinued online sales and went to Small Pet Select. The timing of this discussion is good as I may want to consider going back to KMS for the new crop of bluegrass.

Please......keep us posted on what you learn.

scoottie

Cavy Slave
Ahhh.....consider me corrected. :p I was just trying to save you money. I find it interesting that you say this person is "allergic to all hays"? My husband is wildly allergic to timothy to the point of having terrible symptoms including a migraine. It took us a while to find something else and in the meantime we had to remove all hay, feed the boys corn husks for roughage, and had to have sofa, carpet, walls, drapes professionally cleaned. We found our answer in bluegrass and eventually were able to use orchard as well.

I had a disagreement with the previous owner of KMS and refused to give them my business after two dissatisfying incidents. I moved to another company that has since discontinued online sales and went to Small Pet Select. The timing of this discussion is good as I may want to consider going back to KMS for the new crop of bluegrass.

Please......keep us posted on what you learn.

I would try it again KMS has a new owner and he has answered all of my questions regarding taste etc. Also switching over to KMS will save me $20 which I will gladly save. I also use Small Pet Select as well. Like your husband I am also horribly allergic to timothy hay to the point where I cant even breathe so I feel his pain. Not to mention the free shipping as well is a big plus I wanted to try it in the past before it was free and was always so turned off by the ridiculous shipping fee.

spy9doc

Cavy Slave
Thank you for the feedback!

Artista

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
I get sps orchard grass. I get pellets from kms which is the best and freshest. I love to support family farms.

I think kms still sells samples of hay. If not, contact them. They would probably do it as cs there is awesome.

Guineapigs32

Cavy Slave
Please be careful using KMS. I found foil in my pellets this morning.

Artista

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Please be careful using KMS. I found foil in my pellets this morning.

This is not typical at all. Remove it. Sometimes things can accidentally get in packaging. Call them. I've used them since 2012, 0 issues, so please don't judge them. I've had dead cochroach in sps hay before. I still use them. But for pellets, only kms. It's a good idea to check hair and pellets before serving. That's just good practice anyway.

scoottie

Cavy Slave
New hay arrived from KMS and it smells amazing 20200720_182208.jpg

spy9doc

Cavy Slave
New hay arrived from KMS and it smells amazing

Didn't I just say that? Thanks for corroborating my opinion. Happy that you like it, but what about your cavies' response?

My boys have had their new hay and pellets for about a week now and they are loving both. :cool:

scoottie

Cavy Slave
Didn't I just say that? Thanks for corroborating my opinion. Happy that you like it, but what about your cavies' response?

My boys have had their new hay and pellets for about a week now and they are loving both. :cool:

They dove right in I was surprised actually

scoottie

Cavy Slave
I just now placed an order for a 25# box of KMS Bluegrass hay, I hope it's as nice as the boxes that both of you received. I've always liked their hay, it was just the pellets that my pigs didn't like.
Good choice I contacted them and they said their bluegrass is currently the most consistant hay right now with timothy hay being less consistant. I guess its just not in season for them right now.

spy9doc

Cavy Slave
As @Kelsie knows, my recent order was bluegrass. Happy that i decided to try KMS again! Did either of you inquire as to when the new crop will be in stock?

scoottie

Cavy Slave
As @Kelsie knows, my recent order was bluegrass. Happy that i decided to try KMS again! Did either of you inquire as to when the new crop will be in stock?
I did and this was what they said when I asked about timothy hay for 2020
3rd is impossible to know at this point. Crossing fingers it is much better this year. 1st is just getting bailed, also a little late. The softest, most consistent hay is our bluegrass. It's completely out of the fields by the time 2nd cut timothy is being baled so it doesn't face the weather challenges of later hays.

spy9doc

Cavy Slave
@scootie.......thanks so much for the feedback! I'm interpreting this to mean that bluegrass will be harvested any day now? Perhaps I can get a more definitive date if I call the company.

scoottie

Cavy Slave
@spy9doc you will get a better idea for Bluegrass if you call them yes.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.