Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

How Much? How often?

KellRam89

Cavy Slave
I have a nursing momma with 1 week old babies (3 of them) they get greens once a day, pellets once a day and hay all day but we're wondering if we need to be doing greens and pellets twice a day? Or maybe more greens in the morning then what we are giving since babies are nibbling too? They get fed at 8am every day but by 7am this morning she was yelling at us she was hungry. Thoughts please!

Sent from my moto g(7) optimo maxx(XT1955DL) using Tapatalk

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Nursing sows and pups need unlimited pellets, either alfalfa pellets or another source of calcium. You can feed the greens however you want; it doesn't make any difference.

KellRam89

Cavy Slave
Ok thank you!! She's only about 8 months old so she's on oxbow young guinea pellets. I'll make sure she has unlimited pellets!

So it's ok to give her greens twice a day? She really loves them and the babies nibble too. In the morning she gets a little bit of cucumber and bell pepper and carrot too (like a few little peices of each) mostly it's green and red lettuce parsley and cilantro

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
You can give her a pretty good chunk of bell pepper. It's the best for vitamin C.

MerryFriarTuck

Cavy Slave
The best rule of thumb is just 1 cup of veggies and greens every day ( slightly more than a cup if it's more greens than veggies ) You can give her half a cup in the morning and a half a cup at dinner :)

KellRam89

Cavy Slave
The best rule of thumb is just 1 cup of veggies and greens every day ( slightly more than a cup if it's more greens than veggies ) You can give her half a cup in the morning and a half a cup at dinner :)
Even if she's nursing and there's also 3 babies in the cage with her just do about 1 cup a day?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
No, increase the amount you feed. You're feeding four of them, not just one. They all need unlimited hay and pellets, and with one adult and three babies I'd feed about a cup and half of veggies per day, increasing it as the pups get older. You can keep an eye on what they eat, and adjust the mix accordingly.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.