Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Play Plush pillows/toys for guinea pigs?

MerryFriarTuck

Cavy Slave
This is just a little thing I've been curious about a while :)

I've seen many adorable pictures of guinea pigs cuddling with pillows and stuffed animals/plush toys. Are these safe? Do a lot of piggies like them? Or do most try to eat them? ( I have a feeling my two may try to eat them, but I'd love to give them a chance [under supervision] if it's a safe toy option! )

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
You'll just have to try and see. Mine were never interested at all.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I tried a stuffed guinea pig with Scooter, after Punkin passed away. I was desperate to try anything to keep him company after losing his brother but he was still too ill to have a friend.

I failed miserably. I named it Clyde. Scooter was absolutely terrified of Clyde. His eyes would get huge and he would run as far away from Clyde as he possibly could. I also tried Clyde again, after I lost Scooter. Leo paid Clyde zero attention. Didn't even acknowledge his existence despite my moving him around the cage.

That said, your mileage may vary.

SSLee

Cavy Slave
I also tried going the stuffed animal route when my alpha piggy died and Lily was all alone. She totally ignored the stuffed animal. After I adopted Felicia, I left it in the cage and both Felicia and Lily paid no attention to it, so I eventually took it out of the cage. It is still in their supply box in the event it might be useful for a future piggy.

spy9doc

Cavy Slave
Leo paid Clyde zero attention. Didn't even acknowledge his existence despite my moving him around the cage.

Pretty much sums up my experiences. After Chip died, I bought a small stuffed rabbit that was about the size and color of Chip. After initially sniffing and tasting the rabbit, Sparky absolutely just totally ignored it no matter what I did. I rubbed Sparky against it to get his scent on it, brought it out to share laptime, put it in a cozy......nothing.

About the only thing my cavies have ever had any interest in is the toilet paper roll stuffed with hay and a little bit of veggies. I made one the other evening for my new little boys and I think I had more fun watching them than they did playing with it. :crazy:

ItsaZoo

Cavy Slave
Mine has a stuffed bunny that she sometimes snuggles with and she sleeps next to it. She's not a chewer, but if I move it she's on the alert and will sometimes bite it in the nose. One day she rolled her treat ball and it bumped against her bunny. When the bunny moved, she thought it was going to take her food so she marched over and bit the bunny on the nose.

If you do try a stuffed toy, make sure there are no plastic parts like eyes or nose, and if there is a bow or ribbon on the neck I'd take that off.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.