Thread: Advice on nail trimming a biting piggy?

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quoted
    101 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    182 Rec'd/143 Posts

Question Advice on nail trimming a biting piggy?

My piggy Robin Hood can be a biter, and when it comes to nail trims he's pretty much out for blood...So any advice is most welcome!

He's about a year old, not neutered male. He was a rescue, but we've had him since he was pretty young. He's always bit when we pick him up. I don't think it's out of fear, because he's not shy and adores being pet and stroked. I think it's simply attitude?

We try veggie distraction tactics, and he bites the veggie and then bites us. So far we've trimmed his nails by having him stand up on the bars (while in his cage) for food, which works perfectly for his front feet. His back feet nails thankfully haven't needed it yet, but now they're getting long.

Has anyone reformed their biting piggy? What methods helped teach them not to bite, or bite less/ less hard? And what's the best method for nail trimming a biting piggy?
    Last edited by MerryFriarTuck; 06-14-20 at 01:04 pm.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    2 Rec'd/2 Posts

Re: Advice on nail trimming a biting piggy?

One of mine absolutely despises nail trimming so when the day comes I put on a very thick sweatshirt and fabric gloves. She can bite the fabric all she wants, and it won't deter me from trimming her nails. I also bring snacks to distract her as best I can even though she ignores them and tries to eat me instead. Even with that we only get one foot done per day and take it slow. I feel like if they know that when they bite you they can be free again then they will constantly bite you to get out of your arms. Be confident and trim a nail and then let him go and trim again tomorrow maybe?

3. "Thank you, ThePiggieLover, for this useful post," says:

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quoted
    101 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    182 Rec'd/143 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ThePiggieLover View Post
    One of mine absolutely despises nail trimming so when the day comes I put on a very thick sweatshirt and fabric gloves. She can bite the fabric all she wants, and it won't deter me from trimming her nails. I also bring snacks to distract her as best I can even though she ignores them and tries to eat me instead. Even with that we only get one foot done per day and take it slow. I feel like if they know that when they bite you they can be free again then they will constantly bite you to get out of your arms. Be confident and trim a nail and then let him go and trim again tomorrow maybe?
    I've been thinking along the lines of nice thick work-type gloves, and the thick sweatshirt is a great idea, thank you!!

We already got all his front nails done today by trimming them through the bars in the way I explained above ( it works wonderfully for him! ) So happily that's only 6 toes to go when we have to hold him for his back feet.

"eat me instead" made me laugh...Robin Hood turns into a piggy-cula vampire the same way! Hopefully the best method will result in the least trauma for him, and the least bloodshed for us

Mentioned
    130 Post(s)
    Quoted
    570 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    927 Rec'd/715 Posts

Ditto with the gloves.

Pooper, rest his soul, had a bad attitude. Always did. Its what endeared him to me so much. This 3 lb pig though he ruled the universe and made sure you knew it.

I had to wear gloves to hold him, and have my wife cut his nails. He would bite me and bite me but never bit through the gloves. It actually got comical after awhile.

6. "Thank you, Guinea Pig Papa, for this useful post," says:

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quoted
    101 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    182 Rec'd/143 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Guinea Pig Papa View Post
    Ditto with the gloves.

Pooper, rest his soul, had a bad attitude. Always did. Its what endeared him to me so much. This 3 lb pig though he ruled the universe and made sure you knew it.

I had to wear gloves to hold him, and have my wife cut his nails. He would bite me and bite me but never bit through the gloves. It actually got comical after awhile.
    That's my Robin Hood, too! He's all attitude, usually in a good way, sometimes, in this instance, not

What type of gloves did you use? We also always have a person to hold and a person to trim!
    Last edited by MerryFriarTuck; 06-14-20 at 03:55 pm.

Mentioned
    130 Post(s)
    Quoted
    570 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    927 Rec'd/715 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MerryFriarTuck View Post
    That's my Robin Hood, too! He's all attitude, sometimes in a good way, sometimes, in this instance, not

What type of gloves did you use? We also always have a person to hold and a person to trim!
    They were thick white cotton gloves, or maybe they were nylon. They had little rubber dots all over the palms and fingers for grip.

9. "Thank you, Guinea Pig Papa, for this useful post," says:

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quoted
    101 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    182 Rec'd/143 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Guinea Pig Papa View Post
    They were thick white cotton gloves, or maybe they were nylon. They had little rubber dots all over the palms and fingers for grip.
    Thanks!! If we don't already have any like that I'll get some.

User Tag List