Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • If you need a specific country prefix that isn't listed, please contact the staff.

Canada Travel from Toronto to Vancouver

Hazelnut

Cavy Gazer
Hello,

I am trying to find a way to travel with my guinea pigs from Toronto to Vancouver. Due to Covid, my university program is going fully online, and so I would like to go home from Toronto to Vancouver until the pandemic is over, but I don't want to go without my two guinea pigs. Is there any way to safely bring guinea pigs across Canada? It seems like Via rail does not allow guinea pigs in the cabin (and is not currently running), and Air Canada does not allow them in the cabin. I have heard that they can be transported in Air Canada Cargo but I am worried they will get too hot or cold in a cargo hold during the 4 hour flight. Does anybody know of safe options for transporting guinea pigs, or airlines that will fly guinea pigs in the cabin? I have not been able to find any ground transport that will take them, and I am not able to drive from Toronto to Vancouver.

spy9doc

Cavy Slave
They should be o.k. on a four hour flight if it is non-stop. If complications arise, they will usually do so at an enroute stop where the aircraft will have to sit for 1-2 hours, or if they need to be transferred to a connecting flight and are out on the tarmac in the heat while awaiting boarding. Most major airlines don't permit cavies in the cabin because they are considered rodents. A stupid rule, but one we have to live with.

Major airlines are generally quite good with temperature-controlled cargo holds where there are live animals. Never a guarantee, but if you have no other option, you may have to do it. Go on Air Canada's website (if you haven't done so as yet) and see what their requirements are for the type and size of "kennel" that is approved for small animals. Unfortunately, FedEx doesn't transport live animals or I would suggest going that route.

One other thought is to search around on Facebook for a guinea pig group in Central/Western Canada. I'm subscribed to a couple of groups and people are always posting about a piggy train (as @Kelsie suggested) and showing the route and cities that will be served.

Hazelnut

Cavy Gazer
Thanks for the tips! I will look into doing a direct non-stop flight with Air Canada, in early morning or late evening when it isn't hot on the tarmac then. I'll take a look for a piggy train, although Toronto to Vancouver is really far! So I wonder if a quick 4 hour flight might be less stress than a week of car rides.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I'll be very surprised if they will fly an animal in the middle of the summer. Make sure you ask about that.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.