Mentioned
    2123 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4124 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    7,563 Rec'd/6,045 Posts

Re: Wet bottom

Sorry, my bad. I removed the spam post about rugs, but failed to remove @Thunder's response. Ignore the rugs.

Cavy Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts

Update

It really confused me did that 😂😂

So we've just got back from the vets who tested the urine, apprently there's blood and protein in there... They looked to see if she had stones but couldn't see any... Apparently she has loads of sludge in her bladder and they think the kidneys aren't working properly either... Next step is a blood test and/or urine test.. Poor thing is only 3 years old. We've now been prescribed a bactrim antibiotic thank god.. All this stuff gives me a headache..

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    8 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    9 Rec'd/8 Posts

Did the vet give you probiotics?

Mentioned
    623 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1201 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    1,648 Rec'd/1,355 Posts

Re: Update

Quote Originally Posted by Rockchick10110 View Post
    Apparently she has loads of sludge in her bladder
    I will share a personal experience regarding sludge in the bladder. I had a sow who had a stone that we could see in her urethra and the Vet assumed that she was in the process of passing it. She also had loads of sludge in her bladder. X-ray taken on a Friday confirmed this. She was scheduled for an ultrasound on the following Tuesday. Over the weekend, I syringed copious amounts of water and unflavored Pedialyte (adds good electrolytes) to her in an attempt to move large quantities of fluid through her bladder and possibly flush out the sludge.

Comes Tuesday and the ultrasound revealed that the stone was lodged in the wall of her urethra......it was still there when she crossed the Rainbow Bridge.

However, there was NO sludge in her bladder! You may want to try this with your sow........it certainly won't hurt her and could do a world of good. If you're lucky, your cavy may just have a UTI. However, generally we see bacteria and cells if it is a UTI. Blood and protein may indicate that her kidneys aren't functioning properly.

All the best......please keep us posted.

Cavy Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    Did the vet give you probiotics?
    Hello, I've already got pro biotics already.. I've been giving That with the baytril... I will continue to give pro biotics when I start the bactrim stuff.. She still smells a bit wiffy so they are defintley needed.. I'm not sure how you get rid of sludge though.. I'm assuming the antibiotics are just for the infection rather than getting rid of sludge...

Cavy Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by spy9doc View Post
    I will share a personal experience regarding sludge in the bladder. I had a sow who had a stone that we could see in her urethra and the Vet assumed that she was in the process of passing it. She also had loads of sludge in her bladder. X-ray taken on a Friday confirmed this. She was scheduled for an ultrasound on the following Tuesday. Over the weekend, I syringed copious amounts of water and unflavored Pedialyte (adds good electrolytes) to her in an attempt to move large quantities of fluid through her bladder and possibly flush out the sludge.

Comes Tuesday and the ultrasound revealed that the stone was lodged in the wall of her urethra......it was still there when she crossed the Rainbow Bridge.

However, there was NO sludge in her bladder! You may want to try this with your sow........it certainly won't hurt her and could do a world of good. If you're lucky, your cavy may just have a UTI. However, generally we see bacteria and cells if it is a UTI. Blood and protein may indicate that her kidneys aren't functioning properly.

All the best......please keep us posted.
    Aaah right so the electrolyte stuff works to get rid of the sludge??

The vet did say as I left that she thinks the kidneys aren't working properly.. Not a right lot you can do about that is there? ������ I think it's both to be honest, infection and kidneys.. Can fix one but not the other..

Mentioned
    623 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1201 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    1,648 Rec'd/1,355 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rockchick10110 View Post
    Aaah right so the electrolyte stuff works to get rid of the sludge??
    No, that's not what I said. The goal is to syringe copious amounts of fluid through her to flush out the urinary tract. The electrolytes serve to keep her hydrated and support the kidney function. Water will serve the same purpose, but I've never met a cavy who didn't like unflavored pedialyte and you could mix that with water.

Cavy Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts

Aah right sorry, I see... Didn't quite get that then. She drinks for England at the moment but I've been giving her probiotocs and syringing water in as well...

User Tag List