Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Tumor Benign Tumor/Cyst?

Marshmalllow

Cavy Slave
Hello, I am new here but have had guinea pigs for a long time.

I noticed a strange bald spot on my guinea pig Marshmallow's butt. I brought her into the vet. They did a skin test and said it is most likely a benign tumor or maybe a cyst.

The vet said it is up to me if I want the tumor/cyst removed. I am not sure what to do. My pigs have never had a tumor/cyst before.

She seems fine. She is happy and playful, eating a lot, and doesn't seem to be in pain. But I am a worry wart.

Has anyone here ever seen in the same situation? What do you suggest I do?

Thank you very much!

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Post a close-up, well-lit picture of the spot, making sure we can tell where on her body it is.

Tumors and cysts don't usually present as a bald spot -- that's more likely to be fungus or a bacterial infection. Or, if the vet is completely ignorant about guinea pigs, could be the grease gland.

Was this an exotic vet?

Marshmalllow

Cavy Slave
I interpreted it as a bald spot, but when I look closer at it it, it does look like and feel like some kind of lump.

According to the animal hospital, this vet does exotics. I have never gone to her before, but another vet at the clinic works with exotics and has seen Marshmallow many times. He would be the one to do the surgery (if it is lump and I go through with it), and I trust his judgement.

I attached a picture below. I hope it's okay. It was hard to get a great shot when it's, you know, on her butt ^.^;

20200605_184417.jpg

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I can't tell where on his body it is. Is the dark spot at about 1 or 2 o'clock his grease gland?

I think I'd want an aspiration of the contents or possibly a biopsy. That should give the vet some clue what the lump is. It may be a lipoma, which is benign and usually easy to remove, or something more serious.

But if surgery is required, I'd definitely want a good exotic vet who's done a bunch of similar surgeries to be the one to take care of him.

Marshmalllow

Cavy Slave
Sorry for the late reply!

It's about 11 o'clock her grease gland. They did a cytology, and that's when they said it be a benign cyst/tumor - I can ask for a detailed copy of the results. Or, do you think a biopsy should be done as well?

The doctor who would do the surgery has apparently done it many times.

Thanks again! I feel a little better knowing lumps are usually easy to remove. I am still deciding what to do, but I still probably go through the surgery.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.