Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

URI/Upper Respiratory Infection New Baby Guinea Pig Breathing

GuineaPigLovee

Cavy Gazer
Hello!
I recently got a baby boy guinea pig a couple days ago from a pet store. I know buying from pet stores is not the best and should rescue or adopt when you can, but there aren’t any breeders near me. I already have a teenage male, so I knew if I wanted to get him a friend it would have to be younger than him. Thus the pet store being my best option.

Anyway, I know guinea pigs need time to adjust before you start handling them so they get used to their surroundings so I’ve mostly been leaving him alone. However I notice sometimes it seems like his breathing is a little heavier. I know this could be a sign of a URI, however I also read that fear and anxiety could cause this as well. And since he is newly added, I thought this could be why but I’m not sure.

Hes eating and drinking fine, as well as going potty. Eyes, nose and ears look clear, and I can’t hear any heavy breathing. I haven’t tried listening to his chest closely though since I haven’t been handling him yet. I also notice him sneeze every now and then (usually during eating or right after).

He also isn’t as skittish as my other guinea pig was when I first got him, and will walk up to my hands and sniff when I have food if I move slow enough towards him.. I’m not sure if this is due to him having lack of energy to bolt off as soon as I move towards him or if he’s just getting used to me already.
Those are really the only symptoms I see. He doesn’t always breathe heavy though, like when he’s out eating he seems to breath normally just sometimes it’s a little heavier but it’s hard to tell if it’s because of the fear of being somewhere new or because he’s sick :(

Thunder

Cavy Slave
I don’t know how to help you there so someone more experienced will give you advice. I would make sure if they are not separated you separate him. He could get your piggy sick and then you have even more issues.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
It sounds to me like the growing pains of a new piggy, especially a baby. I am going through something similar right now, learning the nuances of a new furball.

If he is eating and drinking fine, output seems pretty normal, weight is consistent or rising (especially important for a baby) and his eyes and nose seem clear and there are no sounds of wet, congested breathing or clicking sounds then he's probably just fine.

The smartest thing you can do right now is closely monitor him, and make absolute certain you have a cavy savvy vet on hand in case things turn south in a hurry. I haven't heard anything from you regarding your new little one at this point that would concern me greatly.

As far as his inquisitiveness goes, sounds like that may just be his personality. If he's already comfortable around you that would be a bonus.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.