Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Cleaning Shavings vs Fleece.

PiggieLifexoxo

Cavy Slave
I haven't been on here for a while! Just an update on my guinea pigs if anyone wants to know I guess!
We had to change them from fleece bedding to shavings because the fleece bedding wrecked our washing machine and got hair all over our clothes the next time we used it! Could this have anything to do with our washer? Or is it the fleece? Should we get another brand of fleece bedding?

I do know that a lot of people prefer fleece bedding and I do too but it has caused a big problem.

P.s. I will be using this thread to post my cage things :)

ItsaZoo

Cavy Slave
I would suspect there was something going on with the washer already. I’ve been using fleece for the last three years. I had an ancient washer (1985 Maytag) that never had trouble with hair or bits of hay. I replaced it last year with a Speed Queen and also have not had issues.

One thing about the old model, it had a filter to catch hair and hay bits and the new one doesn’t. The fleece shouldn’t cause any more problems than washing blankets and bedding. I make sure I don’t overload the machine and I set it for heavy duty and large load. That cycle spins the highest and washes the longest.

Guinepigmom_2.0

Cavy Slave
I would also suspect the washer.
I have been using fleece liners and when i wash their liners and beds, everything looks clean and good.
doesn't wreck my clothes.

but do wash your clothes separate from their bedding.

i also shake off the fleece outside before putting it into the washer so no poops or hay left.

you should vacuum the fleece up first, before placing into the wash. lose hay pieces or pooops can cause a problem for your washer depending on how big the holes are in the washer where the water drains out after a cycle.

PiggieLifexoxo

Cavy Slave
Thanks for helping :). I might try to put them on fleece again once we get another set of fleece because we only had 1. I will also spot clean more often to help the problem a little bit more. Does anyone know a good brand of fleece bedding that ships to Australia? If not i'll order from the same place I got my first fleece bedding from.

spy9doc

Cavy Slave
A preventative for hair on your clothes (other than previous suggestions) is to run a short cycle after the load of piggy items. We have a short cycle on our machine called "rinse and spin" and I either add a tad of soap or just plain white vinegar. This is especially helpful should you happen to do a load of darks immediately after the piggy items.

spy9doc

Cavy Slave

Candalalala

Cavy Slave
I always wash my liners in a laundry bad designed to hold in fur! It helps even after shaking and sweeping them.

ItsaZoo

Cavy Slave
I just buy fleece by the yard at the fabric store and use it over washable incontinence pads. I like the anti-pill plush or blizzard plush the best. When there are several layers and they aren't sewn together they are easier to wash. Although each washer is different, mine recommends putting waterproof items in first and using the delicate cycle so there are no air bubbles trapped and the water rinses and drains properly.

hihiduyu

Cavy Slave
A bit old to this thread, i believe Guinea Dad ships to australia!
I personally use their liner and it does wonders!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.