Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Chat Introducing........ Simon!

• Thread starter Guinea Pig Papa
  • Start date

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
First, I need to get this out.

I am absolutely heartbroken over Scooter. Just as much with him (and maybe more so) as all of my other pigs. I'm having nightmares and the like over his passing.

That said, it's too soon for me to have another pig. Too soon for ME, that is. Leo is a different story.
I can already tell he'd begun the grieving process. Sleeping all day. He'd come out for pellets, some hay and water and go back to bed. Disinterested in most treats, almost every day without finishing his pepper slice. He hasn't wheeked, or made much at all in the way of happy noises. When I pick up the piggy carrier, he loses his mind because he thinks Scooter has come home.

I know exactly how he feels.

So I did some looking and found a Lunkarya boy who's 14 months old and needs a forever home. I was told he was a very sweet boy who enjoys being held. I was sent one not very good pic and I said yes anyway. I picked him up Saturday afternoon.

I felt like a ghoul. I still do. Every single time I hold this little guy I feel as if I'm betraying Scooter. It's going to take a long time to move past that. I don't even have his ashes back yet and there's already a new pig here and it feels horribly wrong to me.

We have to move on, for Leo's sake. And for this little guys sake, too. He needed a home. He got one. I was out and as I was strapping down a Dodge Caravan and with only the one lousy pic I saw, a name popped into my head.

Simon.

So, Simon it is. He IS a very sweet boy who doesn't mind being picked up, doesn't mind being held and likes being petted. Once he's had a few days to adjust he will be getting a good haircut so he isn't so much of a floof which will be much more comfortable for him, and easier for me to manage.

So without further adieu and my inane ramblings, please meet Simon.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
A few more pics

He rolled that tube out into the pen and then stared at it........he wouldn't go after it.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Leo seems to have accepted Simon fine, and vice versa.

Simon, however, may have an issue. His former owner decided he should have a bath before I picked him up. Somehow in all of that, he got a face full of water.

His breathing has been wet sounding at times, and he coughs and sneezes periodically. It HAS improved from where it was Saturday and Sunday, but it isn't gone yet. Earliest the vet can take him is Monday. Other than the wet sound, there are no other indications he's ill. No discharge from the eyes or nose. If I felt it was an emergency I would rush him in and if his condition changes for the worse, that's what I'll do.

The good news is, his weight has either stayed consistent or gone up. When he came here Saturday he was at 967 grams and this morning he was 1012. He's eating pellets and hay just fine, drinks a lot of water along with Leo. He spends most of his time in one corner of the cage. He does, however, at times decide he's going to go exploring. Several times I've seen him out in the pen, digging under the fleece, running through the boxes, wearing the piggie beds on his head like a giant hat, and popcorning. Two days in a row now he's done this, and usually at the same times. Just after 7am, and around 8pm. Once or twice he's come out during the day today to take a quick lap. He will also cross from one hay pile to the other at the back of the cage.

I should add that last night was the first night we actually turned the lights completely off except for the small nightlight. After we did that, Simon had a free for all by himself in the pen, running around like a little fool.

I know every pig is different. It may take him longer to adjust than it did Leo, who was just fine in his new home in a matter of hours.

I have a fine comb, and a very nice set of Wahl clippers with numbered gates. Once I'm sure he's healthy and seems to be doing well, he's getting a haircut. :)

He is SO sweet. Just lets you pick him up and snuggle. Doesn't run away, doesn't struggle. Just goes with it. He'll sit on your chest and stare at you while he accepts his love.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
See, he's worming his way into your heart already!
It's impossible not to love any of them, I'll admit to that. He just seems so...... I dont know how to describe it. Trusting? Vulnerable? I'm not sure. But you're right. Hes worming his way in, despite the overwhelming guilt.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I'd never heard of this breed. I would have thought Peruvian.

They started out as Peruvian. The breed Lunkarya hasn't been around long. From what I understand, it started with one pig with genetic aberrations in his coat in 1986, and every Lunkarya pig since then is descended directly from him.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Simon had his first vet visit today. Apparently he was a big hit!

First he jumped into his new vet techs arms (immediately endearing him to her. She loved Scooter and took his loss hard.)

He was very animated and active at the vet. They heard our concerns about his faceful of water. Simon, of course, made it easier. He made every noise we mentioned as if on cue just to drive home our point.

His heart and lungs sound great, lungs are clear. He IS on Sulfatrim as a precaution while he tries to clear the water on his own. Any changes in his eating habits and we are to stop the meds immediately.

And of course hes adorable. That always helps.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.