Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Fighting Piggies that have been together for a year are fighting

lanespiggies

Cavy Slave
Hello all! I have two boars, Yogi and Bear, who have never fought or been separated in their lifetime. They are one and half years old. Like I stated previously, the incident that occurred tonight has never happened before in the whole time that I have had them (and I have had them since they were babies). Tonight I found Yogi humping Bear. I figured this was a fight for dominance and brushed it off. However the squealing and jumping continued for two hours straight. Eventually there was bloodshed. Yogi bit Bear on the nose and he has several other bite marks on his behind. The wound on his nose is the only one that is currently bleeding. This has never happened before and I’m very very concerned l. I have them both separated in different cages for the night. I give them plenty of food, hay, and water and I try to keep their diet balanced. They also have a pretty large cage (a C&C 2x4). Any thoughts on what could’ve caused this outburst? I’m extremely scared they may never be able to be together again..

ItsaZoo

Cavy Slave
Something caused Yogi to get dominant with Bear. Do they have 2 of everything in their cage? Two water bottles, 2 hay piles, 2 hideys that have 2 exits so one pig can't trap another inside? And are there fleece forests or other cage accessories that block their view so if they're in different areas of the cage, one can't see the other? These things might help if you try to introduce them again.

Is Yogi crabby with you at all? Does he act differently when you try to pick him up? He may be in pain or he may have hormone issues that are causing aggressive behavior.

lanespiggies

Cavy Slave
They don’t usually have two of everything. I will definitely try that. They do have two hideys however. Yogi doesn’t seem upset when I pick him up, he seemed fine but distracted, as he wanted back into the cage to get Bear. But right now he isn’t grumpy at all.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
A 2x4 really isn't large enough for two boars. Is it possible to expand the cage?

Smileandnod

Cavy Slave
Second levels and lofts don't count towards needed cage size, but I have always found having a wide loft (minimum of 2x2) with 2 ramps has always helped reduce some squabbles. It allows them to have separate areas out of sight of each other to take a breather. Too small of a loft with only one ramp will just increase possible fighting because they can trap each other in the small space.

Fleece forests also help allow pigs to "hide" from each other a bit and run out easily if they are found, but I would encourage you to make your cage a bit bigger to give them more room.

I have also found making the cage another grid wider, so a minimum of 3 grids wide, also helps give them more space when passing by each other which prevents a nippy pig from easily getting a hold of it's victim when it just wants to walk by.

Good luck and get creative with their cage space and design...the bigger, the better...more harmony between pigs and more fun to watch them run about for you.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.