Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Nutrition Corn husk and low calcium diet

Loralay93

Cavy Slave
Hello everyone 👋🏻
I was feeding my piggy with corn husks and meadow hay together last year. Now it’s the corn season again, and I want to feed her with corn husks again, because she loves then so much. However, she is on a low calcium diet. I couldn’t find the nutrition data of corn husks online.

Can I feed her with them on a daily basis?
I was drying the husks last year to feed her during the winter. Feeding piggies with dried corn husks is safe, right?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
They're fine to feed, fresh or dried, if you strip the outer husks off to get rid of the pesticides.

spy9doc

Cavy Slave
To piggyback on your comment, you can also freeze them for later. My boys loved them!

Artista

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
I'm not a big corn eater but I buy it for the husk. I cut them into single servings and freeze them. Great cool down treat.

ItsaZoo

Cavy Slave
I freeze corn husks as well. I check at local grocery stores for fresh corn. Sometimes they provide bins for the husks so customers can shuck the corn in the store. I find the husks in the bins, put it in a bag, tell the checkout person (who looks at me like I'm crazy) and off I go. Last year I ended up with 3 of the 1-gallon freezer bags, which lasted until early spring. But things get ugly when the corn husks run out. ;)

SSLee

Cavy Slave
The previous two years I was getting discarded corn husks from the compost bin at my local Trader Joes. It got to where some of the cashiers recognized me as the guinea pig lady. But this year, Trader Joes is not carrying fresh corn so I have to eat more corn in order for the piggies to have the husks and silk. They absolutely love the silk. I also freeze enough husks to last until next summer. In general we have fresh corn available throughout the entire year. I think the ones available in the winter might come from another country.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.