Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Skin Problems Sansa’s Infections

Guinepigmom_2.0

Cavy Slave
So, couple weeks ago or so I adopted a little piggy from a family that ended up with a pregnant sow, so they were giving the babies new homes because their child wasn’t prepared for taking care of more guinea pigs.

As time went on, Sansa has been adjusting to her new home with me.

I have no noticed multiple spots on her that appear to be either ring worm, fungus, or something!
reached out the original owners of the baby asking them where the pregnant sow came from and why did my new baby she gave birth to, now has infections.

Sansa came from a pregnant sow that apparently was bought from A pet store! 😕
so I have a feeling the sow infected her babies! Idk maybe just a strong guess.

here are pics of my poor baby :
1CDB5E12-16C6-41B5-93EC-466DD0B9719B.jpg340E772E-79A2-438A-8FE2-1970EA80841E.jpg797AC279-0F5C-4DBD-8C06-4650B39926F4.jpg

the ear because there’s a weird scaly skin inside her ear
I feel horrible and hope my vet can treat her !
I’m never trusting strangers who were giving baby guinea pigs away , I feel somewhat betrayed. Idk but my top priority now is to make sure this poor baby girl gets well...

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I'd assume that it's a fungal infection and get some Lotrimin and apply twice daily to all spots with a q-tip. You can do this for a few days, and if the spots don't get any larger and you begin to see hair growth coming back, it will indicate that it's a fungus and can keep treating the same way until it's thoroughly gone.

If it doesn't improve in a few days, or gets worse immediately, it's probably a bacterial infection. A triple antibiotic cream, any brand, from any pharmacy, can be applied the same way as the antifungal medicine. You just have to be especially careful to rub the antibiotic in so the pig can't ingest it.

The treatment goes in that order, because if you apply an antibiotic to a fungal infection, it can get worse pretty quickly. But applying an antifungal medicine to a bacterial infection won't do anything to it except maybe soothe the skin because of the cream.

If you do decide to take the pig to a vet, don't let them do a skin scraping. It's painful for the pig and for your pocketbook, and they can decide on a treatment without having to do that. Skin scrapings, IMO, should be reserved for long-standing, hard-to-treat lesions where the vet can't figure out what's going on and which haven't responded to normal treatments.

Guinepigmom_2.0

Cavy Slave
@bpatters, she actually has ringworm. she is being treated for it at the vet care. I will have her back soon.
I called them today to check up on her. She's healing really well. She's been eating all her veggies normally under their care.
So hopefully i will be able to get her back at home soon. i miss her so much and so do the boys.

Soecara

Cavy Slave
Ringworm is a type of fungal infection. The treatment bpatters recommended you try first would have been an effective treatment for ringworm.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.