Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

My baby Scooter. I will miss you so.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
It is with the most profound grief I am here right now.

I still can't believe I'm here writing this.

24 hours ago, Scooter was standing at the bars begging for a treat when I got up for the day. Maybe a little tired looking, but considering what he'd been through he had days like that. He climbed the bars and chewed them, so insistent he was.

After his treat he went back into his cage, had some water and some pellets and went for a nap as usual. Around 10 am I decided it was time to change his bedding as I had a few minutes.

Immediately after changing the bedding, Scooter ran into his cage as he usually does and straight into the blue house. I wasn't quite done so I lifted it off him to shoo him out, and saw that he had peed. And there was red in it. I checked the old bedding and there were no stains so this was very new.

I immediately sent a photo to his vet tech, who told me the vet said to observe and message her if he did it again. Which he did at noon, brighter red this time. At this point I could not get hold of her again, nor could I reach the front desk. Tuesdays and Thursdays are surgery days there.

By 4pm he was in a piggie bed, fidgeting and in obvious discomfort. I got up, packed him in the carrier and sent him with my wife to the vet. I didn't care if there was no appointment.

Once there Dr Ker was gravely concerned. He wasn't sure if it was a UTI, or if his kidneys were shutting down. This was at 5pm. He got sub Q fluids, a shot of Baytril and was given more to come home with and he was to be back first thing in the morning. He arrived home at about 6pm.

Once home he spent his time on my chest, and it was obvious he was fading very, very fast. By 7:30 he had lost all muscle tone. He passed around 9:20pm, and a piece of my soul went with him.

I just don't have words to describe the grief. The loss. The emptiness. I put my soul into him for 9 months, and to have him ripped away like this is so damaging. So damn cruel.

I love you, Scooter. I miss you now, and I will miss you always. There is no way this world could ever extinguish your light but it is beyond my view now and it hurts so terribly.

Papa Sly and Punkin are waiting for you now, at the Rainbow Bridge. The sun is warm. The vegetables are fresh and you can have as many as you want now. The grass is green and delicious. And you will make new friends.

It is pain free there, and peaceful. God, I miss you so much already. I'm sorry.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
My favourite video of Scooter. I think it shows what a ham he was. No sound. No one needs to hear me talking.

https://youtu.be/sS9exhZSgIo

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
This is so wrong, on so many levels. But it's the only way it could be.

Together again, inseparable brothers.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Thanks to COVID it's taken too long for this. But they're together again in another way now.

This one hurt like hell to have done. No idea why, but I suppose it's appropriate that it did.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
It just touches my heart to see the love that you had for your piggies. Your tattoo artist did a beautiful rendition. I'm sorry that it hurt. I had a small four-leaf clover tattoo done on my ankle quite a few years ago. I wanted it as a memory to my Irish heritage. I don't remember it hurting though.

My niece is the tattoo artist :) It makes it very special for me indeed, to have her do them for me. Scooter's pawprint wasn't able to be taken very well as it had been at least 14 or 15 hours after his passing that the ink prints were done. So while this print isn't as neat as the others, it's Scooter's and it will be on my arm as I received it.

The other three were more like being scratched constantly while being done but this one felt like a lit cigarette being put out on my forearm. (That's been done when I was young and stupid so I'm familiar with the feeling). Painful or not, losing them hurt far worse. They're worth it.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.