Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Diarrhea Guinea pig has diarrhea, cannot call vet until tomorrow because of Memorial Day

Izcally8

Cavy Gazer
Hi,
my guinea pig Sophie was diagnosed with a respiratory disease I have been giving her Baytril since Friday this last week. Yesterday night when I finished giving her her dose I realized there was diarrhea in the corner where she hangs out. I’m not entirely sure that it was her, I also have another guinea pig, Miss Pig, but she seems fine and doesn’t usually spend time where I found the diarrhea. I’m really worried about it coming from Sophie since I’ve been giving her the medication. I’ve tried to find advice online but all I could find is that I should stop the medication. I called the vet this morning but their closed because of Memorial Day. She doesn’t seem to be acting abnormal, she is eating regularly and playing around her cage. I’m going to call the vet tomorrow I because neither of the pigs seem to be showing signs of extreme lethargy or displaying any abnormal behaviors. Does anyone have any advice on what to do in the meantime? Also is it reasonable to wait until tomorrow for the vet? What are some things I should look out for? Also I gave them both a corn on the cob on Saturday afternoon, could that have affected anything, I usually don’t give them corn but I haven’t found anything negative about corn that could have affected one of their stomachs.

thank you so much !!!

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Full-out liquid diarrhea, or just mushy poops? If really diarrhea, that's much more serious, and I'd stop the Baytril until I could talk to the vet.

They shouldn't have corn. It has far too much sugar in it for guinea pigs, who aren't engineered to process surgar well at all.

Are you giving her a probiotic? BeneBac given 60-90 minutes after every dose of antibiotic can help with digestive upsets caused by antibiotics.

Izcally8

Cavy Gazer
Full-out liquid diarrhea, or just mushy poops? If really diarrhea, that's much more serious, and I'd stop the Baytril until I could talk to the vet.

They shouldn't have corn. It has far too much sugar in it for guinea pigs, who aren't engineered to process surgar well at all.

Are you giving her a probiotic? BeneBac given 60-90 minutes after every dose of antibiotic can help with digestive upsets caused by antibiotics.

It looks like it was liquid diarrhea yesterday night and this morning but looking at the cage right now it doesn’t look like she’s had any more liquid poops I did see one mushy poop. I stopped the Baytril ty for that advice. And I’m not I wasn’t sure what to give her.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

guineamama2017

Cavy Slave
Make sure she is getting plenty of water. Give her some through a syringe if needed.

Last edited:
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.