Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

General Guinea pig’s clumpy stools

murderouspig

Cavy Slave
Hey guys, i need some help. a week ago i noticed my 4 year old male piggie’s stools are soft and clumpy. it cleared within a day and then came back again. now there are some normal poops and some are clumpy. should i be worried that he might have gut problems or he’s just getting old? he is still eating and drinking well! we stopped giving him veggies and fed him multivitamin tablets, oxbow vitamin c tablets and vitamin c pellets that he usually eats daily.

Attachments

EBB7B0E5-643F-4E6E-B833-6F6DFC1ADC99.jpg

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I'd cut out the multivitamin tablets. They've got fat-soluble compounds in them, guinea pigs are just balls of fat and fur, and can absorb too much of the fat compounds.

I'd also cut out the vitamin C tablets, as they can cause digestive upsets. He'll get enough from the pellets until you can figure out what the problem is.

You could also try giving him a probiotic such as BeneBac.

If things clear up, add veggies back, small quantities, one at a time with 48 hours in between. If you find one that causes the mushy poop, then cut it out of the diet.

murderouspig

Cavy Slave
got it, i’ll try cutting out the multivitamin tablets and see if his stools go back to normal! i’m adding small amounts of veggies back into his diets, so i’ll observe too. thanks!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.