Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Truffles, my last trooper, passed suddenly today

Cinnola

Cavy Slave
Well, today, all of our guinea pigs have officially passed. Truffles was the one that survived the longest, and my god, she was quite the trooper. She survived so much (couple of conditions over the years that required the vet and diligent help, etc) and then she died suddenly today. I can't help but feel guilty. Both her and my our first guinea to pass happened to die when I was holding them, and I'm worried I accidentally did something to kill them. :(

In both cases, I was holding the guinea and they were fine, and then suddenly they'd go kind of limp. When I put Truffles down, she was laying on her side and gasping for air. I panicked, but I didn't want to leave her because with our first guinea that passed, she died really quickly when this happened. Truffles held on for a precious few minutes, though. Me, my sister, and my mom sat with her outside in the grass and pet her. I don't think she was choking on anything, as she wasn't eating when I took her from her cage and I had been holding her a few minutes before this happened, but I do regret not checking anyways. I did check the mouth, but not the throat. I'm hopeful she spent her last moments feeling at least somewhat at peace in the sunshine and being pet, as the couple ones before her (we had 4 guineas total. I know you're not supposed to have a guinea pig live alone, but Truffles hated all the guinea pigs she's met except for her original cage mate, which had been the first one to pass. And she got lots of attention and food! She seemed pretty peaceful and okay with being alone..) passed in quick succession a while back when nobody was around to see it. I think she was about 7, so she's lived a decently long life. I wish I spent more time with her recently. Ironically, I had picked her up with the intention of clipping her nails and then letting her hang out outside. Guess I should've ignored her for once, maybe. But she did get a nice treat of blueberries earlier today. Her symptoms do seem to fit that of a stroke, so maybe it was that, but I know I'll never really know, and there's always regrets in hindsight.

Here's an old picture from some Christmases ago. I don't have many recent pictures of her, sadly.

Rip truffles. i love you and miss you so much. im sorry.jpg

Sorry for the long ramble, I just needed to get this out. While I loved the other piggies fiercely, I definitely had spent the longest with Truffles, so this is hitting the hardest. RIP Truffles, I hope you're having fun over the rainbow bridge with all the other guineas. <3

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I'm so sorry you lost her.

spy9doc

Cavy Slave
Fly free over the Rainbow Bridge, sweet Truffles! :love: It's always sad to lose one of our beloved furballs, but when it is the longest-lived and the most unique and precious one, it hurts exponentially more.

We lost the last of our cavies when our beloved Sparky crossed the Rainbow Bridge on New Years Day. We couldn't believe just how much we grieved for that special boy. I can't imagine what it feels like to have one die a sudden death. In my case, almost all the cavy deaths have occurred from precipitating circumstances so the cause of death wasn't a mystery. Sparky had CHF and we knew that his life was limited. The Vet told us that it would be extraordinary if Sparky lived six months after his first medical scare and his diagnosis. Our boy lived for 6 mo. 10 days so that time was a gift.

The action that always helped us was to consider adopting babies and watch them grow. Perhaps you will be able to at some point open your heart and your home to some needy cavies. Don't blame yourself because it could have been something simply undiagnosed or some genetic issue. It's very human to want to know "WHY", but we also have to accept that sometimes there IS no answer.

Sending you and the family condolences and wishes for comfort and peace

Thunder

Cavy Slave
I am so sorry for you loss. It wasn’t your fault, she lived a very long and happy life with you. You took very good care of her.

ItsaZoo

Cavy Slave
My condolences on your loss. It sounds like Truffles had a long life and was well cared for. Take care of yourself.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I am so sorry to hear you've lost your little girl.

It never ceases to amaze me how much these tiny little furballs can attach themselves to our hearts, and take such a huge piece of it when they leave us. A friend of mine who is a profound animal lover has told me he couldn't imagine, nor could he handle, loving something so fragile and short lived. I can't imagine NOT loving them.

Rest in Peace, Truffles. Know how much you are loved, and take that love with you to Rainbow Bridge. Til you find each other again.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.