Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Urine Too much calcium from water?

AlphaDox

Cavy Slave
I noticed the piggies urine sometimes leaves powdery white areas on the fleece-they really only use the kitchen area for the bathroom. Also my one sow sometimes gets her butt dirty with yellow crust almost crystals stuck in the fur. I wash and have trimmed the fur multiple times.

After the vet and diet changes I am sure it is the hard water it can get very white and cloudy when hot and leaves spots on the dishes. I had been using the Brita with no changes and learned it does nothing for calcium. My mom will not and does not want to get the reverse osmosis.

Does this sound like too much water calcium? What option can I use to get already ro water? The grocery store sells it but then always adds minerals and calcium for taste. I just feel lost.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Yes, it sounds like you have very hard water.

I'd ask the grocery store if they can get some without the added electrolytes -- one of the grocery stores in my area sells it both ways. Or you might ask what the calcium content is. If it's under .4%, it might be OK, as that's what we aim at for a calcium percentage in pellets.

You should also be able to get it in smaller pre-packaged bottles, but it will be more expensive that way. A lot of bottled water companies use RO, and you could email them and ask what the calcium percentage is.

guineapiggiepie

Cavy Slave
I noticed the piggies urine sometimes leaves powdery white areas on the fleece-they really only use the kitchen area for the bathroom. Also my one sow sometimes gets her butt dirty with yellow crust almost crystals stuck in the fur. I wash and have trimmed the fur multiple times.

After the vet and diet changes I am sure it is the hard water it can get very white and cloudy when hot and leaves spots on the dishes. I had been using the Brita with no changes and learned it does nothing for calcium. My mom will not and does not want to get the reverse osmosis.

Does this sound like too much water calcium? What option can I use to get already ro water? The grocery store sells it but then always adds minerals and calcium for taste. I just feel lost.

The Zero water filter removes calcium! I've loved mine for years and give it to my piggies :)

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
The filter replacement costs on the Zero are high if you replace it as often as recommended. And if you live in an area with hard water, you have to replace them even more often than the recommended interval.

guineapiggiepie

Cavy Slave
The filter replacement costs on the Zero are high if you replace it as often as recommended. And if you live in an area with hard water, you have to replace them even more often than the recommended interval.

You only have to replace a filter every six months and it's $22. It's a great investment for yourself and your pigs, especially right now.

Do you have another recommendation?

AlphaDox

Cavy Slave
I have Giant Eagle and Buehlers here. Both were not helpful and just sent me to the bottled water area. I might try again with the manager.

The bottles are either purified, distilled, and spring varities. I will try sending out some emails. I don't know how calcium adds flavor...

AlphaDox

Cavy Slave
The Zero water filter removes calcium! I've loved mine for years and give it to my piggies :)

I looked and am having a hard time finding where best to but. I can at least use it temporarily. Amazon has some right now.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.