Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Piggy Obsessed

PocketPets

Cavy Slave
My two kids and I were bitten by the guinea pig bug after getting a 4-week old Peruvian boar last week for my son’s birthday. He is in a 50”x50” C&C cage. We are thinking of getting a Texel boar that is 1 1/2 week younger to keep him company but this particular curly cutie is bonded with a male littermate. We want to get both of them but we’ve read that three boys usually don’t work out. In another C&C cage (2’x4’) we have our 2 beautiful 3-week old sows—a Coronet and a Silkie. We are extremely happy with the three we have so far. We’re busy getting them used to being handled, picked up and hand fed. They already have certain favorite veggies and showing unique personalities!

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
You're right, three boars is almost certainly doomed to failure.

A boar as young as the Texel isn't "bonded" in the way we think of guinea pig bonding. He's just too young to start working out dominance issues. There's no guarantee that he'll even like his current cagemate when they're older.

But can't you find a single boar to rescue to go with yours?

PocketPets

Cavy Slave
“We primarily wanted to get the piggies young in hopes that we can get them used to us a lot easier. Thank you for the clarification on bonding. I would rescue several if it will not endanger my marriage as my hubby albeit supportive, is not an animal person��. This site is a wealth of information.”

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Young pigs are not at all necessarily easier to handle or to tame. They're skittish, and require an enormous amount of patience to get them used to being handled. An older pig that's well socialized may wind up being a much much "friendlier" pet than a young pup.

If you get two males, you'll also have two going through puberty at the same time, and may wind up with two solo pigs, neither of which wants anything to do with the other.

spy9doc

Cavy Slave
Young pigs are not at all necessarily easier to handle or to tame. They're skittish, and require an enormous amount of patience to get them used to being handled.

I can certainly attest to this! :crazy: It's been a long time since I've had very young cavies and I had forgotten just how much work and patience they require. We have been pig-less since New Year's Day when our beloved Sparky crossed the Rainbow Bridge. Two weeks ago I brought home a pair of six-week old Abyssinian boars and they are a handful! The timing is good as I'm currently working from home and my husband is recovering from major back surgery so they don't lack for attention. Their large cage sits alongside my desk where I spend the majority of my time, so we are in close proximity for much of the day. We make a point of handling them frequently and ensure that we have an extended lap time in the evenings.

I had forgotten just how much fun it is to watch them grow and their personalities emerge. They will run zoomies until they are tired, take a nap, and do it all over. And the popcorning! One was jumping and twisting so much today that it looked as though he was having a seizure!

It really all comes down to experience, knowledge and patience as to what age cavy you choose. I prefer to get mine young so that I can raise and socialize them to fit in our family. It's a bit like adopting a baby vs. and older child. My boys are litter-mates and VERY bonded, so I'm not anticipating major battles. But, I don't kid myself that it might not happen when they hit puberty.

PocketPets

Cavy Slave
They are simply adorable! It's hard to give them their space as we are all curious to see what they are up to! And evening lap time after a work day is definitely in the schedule and very much enjoyed! We hope that in reading about other piggies and their parents that we gain valuable knowledge in so we can best care for our furry pocket pets!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.