Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Conditions Possible pregnancy

bmctga

Cavy Gazer
Hi,

We got Nico 4 weeks ago this Sunday - the lady we got her from said she was "about a month" old - it was a quick pick up due to Covid and a long drive home. The second 2 weeks have been very different then her first 2 weeks - she may just be more comfortable in her home, but she was quite comfortable to begin with. She eats way more - and is way more vocal about needing/wanting greens. She drinks and pees a lot more. She doesn't love to be picked up but loves to be held. We have started picking her up in something - letting her walk into a cozy then lifting that up. She has gained a lot - I know this can vary, especially with little ones. But here is last couple of weeks:
5/3: 11.1oz
5/10: 12.8
5/12: 13.4
5/15: 14.9

We weigh her about the same time each time.

She lays down a LOT! and falls asleep quickly when cuddling. She is happy, popcorns a ton (would she do this if she were pregnant?) and loves affection.

My question - I called the exotic pets vet last week - and he made it seem highly unlikely she could be pregnant. Given her age (about a month) when we got her. I was under the impression that piggies could get pregnant as young as 4 weeks? But vet said highly unlikely. He said he wouldn't recommend an xray until later - like 7 weeks and beyond as it wouldn't show much until then. He said he could attempt an ultrasound, but didn't want to waste our time as, again, unlikely she would be and didn't think he would have much success at this time.

So - my questions are: is it that unlikely for her to be pregnant? I didn't see her living situation - but from the sounds of it the woman had boys and girls together - I might have misheard her on that one - but pretty sure they were all together.

2nd question - IF she is pregnant - she is eating alfalfa based pellets - as she is young and was recommended to get that - and she gets a combo of timothy and alfalfa hay - I read recently that the babies can gain too much weight if her diet is too fatty and then can have troubles giving birth if they are too big - is this true???? Has anyone had experience with this? Should I switch her pellets to just timothy based pellets?

My daughter is in LOVE with her piggie - and honestly so are her dad and I. She is so affectionate and my daughter spends all day cozied up with her. I would hate for something to happen to her in all this.

Here are a few pics - sometimes I think she is and then sometimes I think she isn't. Her tummy is sooo round when she lays in my hand and I can feel lumps when I pet her down her side...but then I think maybe that's just her body??? I know time will tell - but if I think she might be - I want to make adjustments to her diet that may be needed. Plus - I want to start investigating possible homes for any boys that may come - I know this will need to happen at 3 weeks. Last two pics are just cuz I think she is mighty adorable :D

Nico.jpgnico1.jpgNico 4.jpgNico 5.jpg

Thank for any advice :D

PS - sorry I just realized I didn't post this in the pregnancy sub-forum - not sure how to move it over or delete it. Please delete if needed.

Last edited:

bmctga

Cavy Gazer
I'm sorry that I can't help you regarding her possible pregnancy as I've never had a pregnant piggie. I'm certain that someone knowledgeable about guinea pig pregnancy will soon post and be able to offer better advice. I just wanted to tell you how beautiful Nico is. I have a silver agouti that looks very much like her. I know that a piggie's breed doesn't reflect on their personalities but I swear that the agoutis just have the most entertaining little antics. My Teddi is older now but when she was young she would zoom around her cage and popcorn like crazy.

Thank you - I think she is just super gorgeous! And YES she ZOOMS around her home and popcorns so much sometimes I get a little worried that if she is pregnant she'll hurt her littles!!! She is just so much fun! :D

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Yes, she can be pregnant. Females can get pregnant at four weeks of age, although some do not.

You should feed her like you would any young pig -- good quality hay, good quality pellets (the only ones we recommend are KMS Hayloft and Oxbow), and veggies. Because she's young, and especially because she may be pregnant, she needs a calcium source. Alfalfa pellets will provide that, and you can supplement timothy hay with some alfalfa.

Popcorning won't hurt pups if she's pregnant, and if she is, she'll get too uncomfortable to do that as she nears her due date. Assuming she got pregnant just before you got her, she's not quite halfway through her pregnancy, so will still be plenty active. You can't feel lumps at this point -- she'd have to be more than six weeks along, or have some ungodly number of pups, for you to feel pups.

Here's a thread that will give you some more information: https://www.guineapigcages.com/foru...inea-pig-is-pregnant-And-how-far-along-is-she

bmctga

Cavy Gazer
Ok thanks - That is what I thought! That it is possible at that young of age. And honestly "about a month" could be 4 weeks - but could also be 6 weeks!

Sounds like what we are feeding her is just fine. I just saw that feeding too much alfalfa can make the babies really big inside her and it freaked me out a little! We are feeding her oxbow young guinea pig pellets - the alfalfa based ones. Hay - A mix Timothy along with Alfalfa. Veggies - mostly green leaf and Kale, some carrots oh and she'll eat small cut up bits of celery sometimes - seems to need to be in the mood for it! And then the occasional blueberry or peeled grape.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Don't overdo the kale. It's extemely high in both calcium and vitamin A. She's getting enough calcium in the pellets and hay, and she doesn't need nearly that much vitamin A.

bmctga

Cavy Gazer
Don't overdo the kale. It's extemely high in both calcium and vitamin A. She's getting enough calcium in the pellets and hay, and she doesn't need nearly that much vitamin A.

Ok good to know - as it is her favorite. We'll do more green leaf!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.