Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Water How to get guinea pig to drink from bottle?

Nikki0987

Cavy Gazer
I have baby guinea pigs, they haven’t been introduced to a water bottle. How do I transition them to a bottle instead of a dish? TIA

spy9doc

Cavy Slave
I'm in the same situation as you. A breeder friend says to put a bit of honey or maple syrup on the end of the nozzle. So far, my boys still haven't paid much attention to it, and when I removed the bowl, one of them started whining when he discovered it missing. Maybe someone else has other ideas?

XpancakeX

Cavy Slave
I actually dont know about this one. My piggies knocked the bowl to drink. so i switched it to a bottle. they saw the bottle. Nibbled on it and they found out the magical tiny water fall.

MerryFriarTuck

Cavy Slave
I know when feeding a little orphan animal, you squeeze a drop from the bottle/syringe and touch it to their mouth, for them to realize it's their food. If the baby piggies aren't too skittish, could it work to tap the water bottle nozzle a few times ( so there's a drop ) and touch it to their mouth?

Nikki0987

Cavy Gazer
I have removed the water dish and have tried to show them the end of the bottle and drip some water out. But they are still so scared of being handled I don’t think they can pay attention. I have yet to see either drink from the bottle....

spy9doc

Cavy Slave
No luck here either. I tried squirting some into the mouth and just about choked the boy. It's the same old story.....they're terrified of being picked up, but once cuddled in my arms, they are delightful. Rascal came out to eat and immediately started whining because his water bowl had disappeared. I may just give in until they grow a bit more and I'm sure that they can comfortably reach the spout.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.