Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Sad Another Kijiji Rescue

sallyvh

Cavy Slave
I don't post much on the forum anymore, however I thought some of you may appreciate following a new rescue story that will hopefully have a happy ending.

A few days ago a Kijiji ad was brought to my attention of someone rehoming a senior guinea pig. Here's a screen capture of the ad:

Screenshot_20200505-210019_Samsung Internet.jpg

You don't often see people rehoming pigs of this age, so I decided to contact the seller to get some more information. Sadly, what I found out was so shocking and disturbing.

The seller couldn't remember the exact date, but said her sister purchased two female guinea pigs from a petsmart 5-7 years ago. After a couple years the one passed away so the sister gave this guinea pig to the seller.

Once talking to her, the seller admitted that she "didn't vibe" with the guinea pig and she was rarely handled. She said she was maybe picked up 10 times in all the years she had her. She's also only been fed cheap pellets all this time. No hay. No veggies.

I decided to just go get her, as I cannot fathom a senior animal having been just ignored like this for so many years. So I picked her up today and her cage was absolutely disgusting. A thin layer of pine/cedar shavings. VERY dirty and the waterbottle had a thick layer of algae on the inside. The whole thing is going straight into the garbage.

The pig herself isn't in horrible shape, but definitely not great either. She's quite small in stature and a little on the thin side, but not horrible. Thankfully her eyes are clear and bright, no discharge and her breathing sounds clear. Most concerning though are her back feet. On top of just being dirty overall, her back feet look like they have bumblefoot, with the one being quite swollen.

She's very skittish, which is to be expected, but she has been nibbling on hay. She's in quarantine for a few weeks while I observe her and hope to get her feet looking better with soaks and medication. I'm going to try to get her into the vet sometime next week for a check-up, but my preferred clinic is only seeing emergencies right now, so I will see if it's an option or if an appointment will be delayed.

I think we've decided on the name Mabel for her. I'll keep everyone updated on her progress. Here's some photos of her, her prior living conditions and her poor feet. Here's hoping that I can turn things around for her and she can live out the remainder of her life.

20200508_184346.jpg

20200508_184320.jpg

20200508_184806.jpg

20200508_184823.jpg

sallyvh

Cavy Slave

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Bless you for taking her in, [MENTION=31353]sallyvh[/MENTION]. Just..........bless you.

I hope she heals up quickly and spends her remaining time happy, knowing the life she SHOULD have had.

God, but some people disgust me, treating animals this way.

MerryFriarTuck

Cavy Slave
Ditto Guinea Pig Papa! I'm so thankful you rescued her, and look forward to updates and her story! She's beautiful, and off to a beautiful new start with you :love:

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Mabel, you've lucked out for once in your life! Thanks for getting her, [MENTION=31353]sallyvh[/MENTION].

sallyvh

Cavy Slave
Thanks guys for all the kind words! It's going to be a long road to recovery and socialization, but we're getting started.

The current plan right now is epsom salt soaks twice a day on the infected feet followed by medicated ointment. We will see about adding metacam for pain relief and an antibiotic if necessary.

Here's some photos of those back feet after today's morning soak.

20200509_195224.jpg

20200509_195250.jpg

20200509_195315.jpg

SSLee

Cavy Slave
Well, the previous owner got one thing right, she wrote that Mabel deserved a better home than she was able to provide. I can't believe the state of the cage that Mabel was living in, that was so disgusting. @sallyvh, looking forward to reading more about Mabel and so glad that you found and took her in. Her feet look better already.

Rywen

Cavy Slave
Oh my, poor baby, thank goodness she’s with you now! I so glad you went and got her.

sallyvh

Cavy Slave
Her feet are thankfully showing some improvement after only a few days of soaks/medication! I'm very pleased to see some changes.

Mabel is doing well and has become quite the voracious eater. She loves all food. The first couple days she wouldn't touch any veggies, but she's getting a little more comfortable and last night ate her pepper, lettuce and cucumber. Hay is definitely her favourite though!

She's still very petrified of me and spends any interaction with me trying to escape, but that's honestly what I was expecting. It does make her soaks a little challenging because she's trying to run, but we're managing just fine.

I called my vet and sent the photos of her feet. She doesn't feel it's necessary to rush her for a visit right now, but wrote me a prescription for bactrim, so an antibiotic has been added to her regimen.

I can't tell you guys how pleased I am that I picked her up. I'm looking forward to her being able to relax and retire here for her senior years!

20200512_111540.jpg

20200512_111621.jpg

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Oh, they look SO much better already! Good work, [MENTION=31353]sallyvh[/MENTION] !!!!

Another little life saved, and such a deserving little soul. Talk about hitting the jackpot with you!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.