Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Stands Ikea Kallax Stand?

Piggie65

Cavy Gazer
I'm planning to get a 2x4 C&C cage. For a stand, I've seen pictures online where it appears to be on top of 2 Ikea Kallax shelves. However, Ikea changed the dimensions of those shelves in recent years and I'm not sure it will fit anymore. The new dimensions are 16.5" x 57 7/8" per shelf.

Does anyone have this setup with a newish Kallax and can verify that it will fit? I'm worried the extra 2 inches of cage won't stay on because there's nothing holding up the grids on the side, right, since there are no grids under the coroplast?

Alternatively, can anyone with a 2x4 cage verify the exact dimensions of the long side? Is it a full 60" once assembled?

Thank you!

spy9doc

Cavy Slave
My first thought is "why do you not have a bottom on your cage?" If you plan to put it anywhere other than the floor, it will be unsteady and always at risk for falling. Then build a custom grid stand that perfectly fits your cage. Have the cage and the stand be two entirely separate structures and then zip-tie them together.

Each grid is 14" square so 4x14 is 56" in total. Even if you add the connectors and the gap between grids, it still won't be 60+ inches.

Piggie65

Cavy Gazer
My first thought is "why do you not have a bottom on your cage?" If you plan to put it anywhere other than the floor, it will be unsteady and always at risk for falling. Then build a custom grid stand that perfectly fits your cage. Have the cage and the stand be two entirely separate structures and then zip-tie them together.

Each grid is 14" square so 4x14 is 56" in total. Even if you add the connectors and the gap between grids, it still won't be 60+ inches.

Thank you for your reply :).

I’m looking at the premade 2x4 c&c here on guineapigcages store and I thought it says the coroplast sits on the ground, no grid underneath. Unless I completely misunderstood? And the specs say completed size is 30x60” but the math seemed off to me so I was hoping for some real life answers. Thank you :)

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I poked around on the store site, and I think you're right that there are no grids under the bottom. But closet shelving makes a better bottom than grids would anyway. It comes in various widths and lengths, and the store will cut it for you (or let you cut it yourself.

That would make it sturdy enough to put anywhere. I had a 16+ square foot cage with closet shelving underneath, and it sat on two Ikea Lack tables.

Piggie65

Cavy Gazer
I poked around on the store site, and I think you're right that there are no grids under the bottom. But closet shelving makes a better bottom than grids would anyway. It comes in various widths and lengths, and the store will cut it for you (or let you cut it yourself.

That would make it sturdy enough to put anywhere. I had a 16+ square foot cage with closet shelving underneath, and it sat on two Ikea Lack tables.

Oh I love this! Are you talking about the solid shelves or the wire kind? And then does the coroplast ever leak liquids?

Piggie65

Cavy Gazer
If I just got 2 of these, they wouldn’t completely support underneath the coroplast base but leave a gap in the middle of maybe 6” across. Would that be structurally ok? FF8C9733-D00F-47D8-8080-1589FEFCA156.jpg

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
A six inch gap isn't a problem, but a 72-inch shelf like that may bow in the middle if you put weight on it. The wire closet shelving would be sturdier, and easier to fasten the cage to.

Urine won't leak through the coroplast -- that stuff is indestructible. But it will go through the seams unless you seal them. I always put tape down all along them, but make sure the pigs can't get to the tape. They love that stuff.

Piggie65

Cavy Gazer
A six inch gap isn't a problem, but a 72-inch shelf like that may bow in the middle if you put weight on it. The wire closet shelving would be sturdier, and easier to fasten the cage to.

Urine won't leak through the coroplast -- that stuff is indestructible. But it will go through the seams unless you seal them. I always put tape down all along them, but make sure the pigs can't get to the tape. They love that stuff.

Ok, thank you I’ll be sure to put this in my plans!

spy9doc

Cavy Slave
A high temperature glue gun is an indispensable tool for working with coroplast and cavy cages Drop a bead of the glue in the seams of the coro "box" or where you may have had an "oops" when cutting the coro. It is also great for joining the parts of the structure. Just don't directly touch the coro with the hot gun as it will melt it.

Piggie65

Cavy Gazer
A high temperature glue gun is an indispensable tool for working with coroplast and cavy cages Drop a bead of the glue in the seams of the coro "box" or where you may have had an "oops" when cutting the coro. It is also great for joining the parts of the structure. Just don't directly touch the coro with the hot gun as it will melt it.

Thank you!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.