Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • If you need a specific country prefix that isn't listed, please contact the staff.

Canada Piggie Breed?

InfamousPigs

Cavy Gazer
IMG_0652 by Liz Degagner, on Flickr

I'm trying to figure out the breed of one of my piggies. Namely the white one. She's got really long butt hair and her hair is really smooth/silky. I'm thinking she's a mix of Abby and something else. Anyone able to help?

MerryFriarTuck

Cavy Slave

InfamousPigs

Cavy Gazer
She looks like she could be a Silkie, or Silkie mix! Maybe Silkie/Aby or Silkie/American? Does she have any rosettes? This link has a great description of all the different breeds: https://www.somerzby.com.au/blog/ultimate-guinea-pig-breed-list/

I love figuring out piggy breeds, and started a thread about it here if you want to check it out as well! I have more breed/patterns links there :)https://www.guineapigcages.com/foru...-s-breed-colors-pattern?p=1018499#post1018499

She has no rosettes at all which is why I'm confused since she has the Abby face.

MerryFriarTuck

Cavy Slave
Hmmm.... without any rosettes I'm guessing Silkie/American mix... I might be able to figure more out with some more pictures! She's a pretty piggy :)

MerryFriarTuck

Cavy Slave
What a sweet face! She and your other piggies are all so cute :love:

Seeing these pictures, I totally think she's a Sheba mix! Shebas are a cross between a Abyssinian and Peruvian, and have the Aby face with long fur on their back ends. If you google Shebas, most of them have thick fluffy hair, but if they're only half Sheba, they look like this... And so much like her!
Screenshot_20200509-095928.jpg
She may have Silkie in her genes somewhere, too, with her soft fur; or it could be a Sheba trait as well. I would say she's a Sheba/American mix! She has the Sheba hair pattern, just not as thick, which I think comes from the American shorthair :)

InfamousPigs

Cavy Gazer
Turns out she has a florette on either side of her body right behind her arms. They're really hard to see though because of the way the hair falls and them being super flat.

MerryFriarTuck

Cavy Slave
Turns out she has a florette on either side of her body right behind her arms. They're really hard to see though because of the way the hair falls and them being super flat.

That fits with Sheba, too; they also have rosettes! :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.