Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

How much pellets should my skinny pigs get

Iíve read that skinny pigs eat more than the average piggie, and when I give my pigs the recommended daily pellet amount (1/8 cup per pig) they finish it all in a couple of hours. Even if they have hay they will still start wheeking for pellets the rest of the day. So Iíll always give them more than the daily recommended amount.

Does anyone else have this issue? Is it bad that I am giving them extra pellets? None of them are over weight but maybe it can lead to health problems down the road. Iíve had piggies in the past but they never burned through as much pellets as the baldies do.

Thanks
    Thanks
    7,335 Rec'd/5,845 Posts
    Mentioned
    2051 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3927 Post(s)

Re: How much pellets should my skinny pigs get

How old are your skinnies?

They do tend to eat more than haired pigs. But depending on what the pellets are made of, a diet high in pellets could predispose a pig to bladder stones. The only two brands in the US that I'd recommend are KMS Hayloft and Oxbow, because neither of them uses calcium carbonate as a calcium source.

Maybe you could increase them a little bit, or give them half in the morning and half in the evening.

Cavy Newbie
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bpatters View Post
    How old are your skinnies?

They do tend to eat more than haired pigs. But depending on what the pellets are made of, a diet high in pellets could predispose a pig to bladder stones. The only two brands in the US that I'd recommend are KMS Hayloft and Oxbow, because neither of them uses calcium carbonate as a calcium source.

Maybe you could increase them a little bit, or give them half in the morning and half in the evening.
    @bpatters there both a bit over a year old. I feel them oxbow pellets. My guinea pigs are in the living room so itís hard when they start screaming at me for pellets . The packaging doesnít say anything about skinny pigs so I wasnít sure if they eat the same or more.

Thanks
    Thanks
    7,335 Rec'd/5,845 Posts
    Mentioned
    2051 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3927 Post(s)

They do usually eat more, but that doesn't have to mean more pellets.

User Tag List