Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Diet How much pellets should my skinny pigs get

Poopmaster

Cavy Gazer
I’ve read that skinny pigs eat more than the average piggie, and when I give my pigs the recommended daily pellet amount (1/8 cup per pig) they finish it all in a couple of hours. Even if they have hay they will still start wheeking for pellets the rest of the day. So I’ll always give them more than the daily recommended amount.

Does anyone else have this issue? Is it bad that I am giving them extra pellets? None of them are over weight but maybe it can lead to health problems down the road. I’ve had piggies in the past but they never burned through as much pellets as the baldies do.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
How old are your skinnies?

They do tend to eat more than haired pigs. But depending on what the pellets are made of, a diet high in pellets could predispose a pig to bladder stones. The only two brands in the US that I'd recommend are KMS Hayloft and Oxbow, because neither of them uses calcium carbonate as a calcium source.

Maybe you could increase them a little bit, or give them half in the morning and half in the evening.

Poopmaster

Cavy Gazer
How old are your skinnies?

They do tend to eat more than haired pigs. But depending on what the pellets are made of, a diet high in pellets could predispose a pig to bladder stones. The only two brands in the US that I'd recommend are KMS Hayloft and Oxbow, because neither of them uses calcium carbonate as a calcium source.

Maybe you could increase them a little bit, or give them half in the morning and half in the evening.
@bpatters there both a bit over a year old. I feel them oxbow pellets. My guinea pigs are in the living room so it’s hard when they start screaming at me for pellets lol. The packaging doesn’t say anything about skinny pigs so I wasn’t sure if they eat the same or more.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
They do usually eat more, but that doesn't have to mean more pellets.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.