Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Nutrition Guinea pig vitamins

Poopmaster

Cavy Gazer
Wondering everyone’s opinion on guinea pig multivitamins? Do they make a difference or are they just a waste of money.

I dont really use them the only thing I use supplement wise is Vitamin C, Urinary and digestive support (for one pig). So if you know what you want to supplement for get it for that use.

They're not a waste of money, but they're only needed in specific situations. A healthy guinea pig that's getting good pellets, hay and veggies doesn't need one. A senior pig, or one recovering from surgery or illness, or one that has been malnourished may benefit from small doses of a multi-vitamin.

But, and this is important, there are fat soluble vitamins in multi-vitamin preparations, and guinea pigs are just little balls of fat and fur. It's very possible for them to wind up with toxic levels of those fat soluble vitamins.

I've given them twice to two of my pigs, once each. I gave only half the listed dosage, and only 3-4 times per week. And as soon as the pig was back to health, I stopped them.

The only ones I know of are the Oasis Vita Drops, and they're what I used.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.