Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Mother gave birth to stillborn, is she ok?

Mariana

Cavy Gazer
Hello everyone! My guinea pig gave birth today, and unfortunately the baby was dead. She is still a little fat, and has been eating and drinking a lot, but right now she is resting. I am a little worried that she might not be ok, since she ate a lot and was agitaded, and now she is trying to sleep. Is this normal behaviour, or should I be worried?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
The thing that concerns me is that she's still a little fat. There could be another pup in there. If she were mine, I'd try to get her to a vet for an x-ray, but with the pandemic, that may not be possible. But I'd definitely keep an eagle eye on her, and if she seems lethargic, or stops eating, or looks like she's still laboring, I'd call the vet and say it's an emergency and I'm bringing her in.

Mariana

Cavy Gazer
Yes, I was very concerned about that also, so I called a friend that´s a vet and he said that if she is eating well and drinking there´s no need to worry. And she had a great day, super healthy, I´m feeling much better! Thank you for replying [MENTION=13820]bpatters[/MENTION]!

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I hope this was an accidental pregnancy and that you're not breeding your sow? There are lots of problems associated with guinea pig breeding, and the death rate for sows and pups is high.

Mariana

Cavy Gazer
Actually she was adopted this month, and when she came she was already pregnant, we are aware of the risks with breeding and don´t have intentions in pursuing this type of activity, just caring for her!

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Good to hear it!

oreo the piggy

Cavy Gazer
Yes I am very glad that you’re not breading because I only agree with breeding guinea pig breeds like tessel and long-haired just because they’re harder to find in rescues

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.