Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Sneezing Guinea pig constantly sneezing even after Baytril

Jaxsoy

Cavy Gazer
I got 2 guinea pigs a couple months ago. The place I got them from said that they both had a URI, but they were treated for it and they should be good to go. A little over a month later, one of them started sneezing a ton (at least I think it’s a sneeze. He just kind of blows air out of nose real fast, but no vocal sounds). I’m talking once every minute. I took him to the vet and she gave us Baytril (she may have put something else in it, we were talking on the phone and I couldn’t hear everything she said) and said to give him 0.5 ml every 12 hours for 10 days. It’s been about 7 and he’s still sneezing just as much. I will say, I used to hear a crackling noise in his chest which I know is also a symptom of a URI and now I don’t hear it anymore. Other than the sneezing he’s acting perfectly normal and happy. He is eating and drinking fine, it’s just the constant sneeze every minute and some dried up snot on his nose. We called the vet and she said that we should give another 10 days of the medicine if he doesn’t stop, but honestly I feel like it’s not gonna work. Is there any other reasons he may be sneezing and is there anything I can try to help stop it? I tried putting him in a steamy room with the shower running, but he still just kept sneezing. We bought some vitamin c supplements today and are going to get some probiotics tomorrow to make sure he doesn’t get a tummy ache. I just feel like at this point it’s either a really stubborn URI or something else that the medicine won’t help. Also I want to add that I feel like he starts sneezing more when I pick him up and hold him, so not sure why that happens.

ItsaZoo

Cavy Slave
If he tolerated the antibiotic well, I would try another 10 days. Especially since you heard crackling in the lungs and that has now stopped. It could have been not only upper respiratory infection but also pneumonia so he may have been more sick than it appeared at first.

The vitamin C and probiotics are both a good idea. Probiotics an hour or so after antibiotics. Good luck, I hope this resolves.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.