Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

General Do my guinea pigs only like me for my food

Poopmaster

Cavy Gazer
I think my guinea pigs only like me for my food.. there only excited when I bring them lettuce and veggies or im opening a bag. I’m starting to feel used.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
News flash for you: you're always going to be way below food on their scale of importance. If what you wanted was a pet that would run to you to be cuddled and held, you should have chosen a kitten or a puppy.

Guinea pigs are prey animals. They think everything on earth is out to get them, and they're not far wrong. So they're skittish, and it takes a lot of patience to tame them. Most of us enjoy them for the funny creatures they are, and if we get a snuggle every now and then, it's icing on the cake.

rosspiggys

Cavy Slave
I think my guinea pigs only like me for my food.. there only excited when I bring them lettuce and veggies or im opening a bag. I’m starting to feel used.
pretty much. As Checkers and Ginger would say; "stop you gripping human and feed your masters".

Guinepigmom_2.0

Cavy Slave

My experience thus far is since i've had all three of mine since they were very little, ive bonded over time with them.
For example ive fed them in my lap after 15 minutes of bonding, reward with treat.

they know that, so when i come to pick them up for their bonding/play time they know i have treats/food available...

I dont feel used haha i love them no matter their temperament because they're just such funny critters makes my heart full.

The only one thats super cuddly is my baby Sansa, she purrs and burries herself in my neck when i lay with her on my couch. she doesn't expect treats, nothing. she just wants my company.

I think it depends also on personality of your piggy....a lot them have their own personas haha which to me is pretty awesome!

BUT THE truth is you'll never stop being their slave hahahah..

like others have sad if you wanted a more cuddly and play with you pet, a dog or a cat would have been go to lol

ItsaZoo

Cavy Slave
I think it's kind of a chicken and egg question. I give her treats so she comes running when I talk to her, and she comes running because I give her treats!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.