Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Behavior Problems with lap time

Poopmaster

Cavy Gazer
Hi!
I have 3 boars in a 6x2 cc cage. I got two skinny pigs, Lil Pig and Norman, and one furry, Beanut.

I was hoping somebody could help me figure out what the heck is going on. My 3 pigs get along great, there the 3 amigos and play all the time. They have there little squabbles sometimes because LP is kind of annoying and likes to bug the other pigs, but generally get along really well.

The problem is lap time. I like to have individual lap times and it’s not a problem at all when I take out Lil Pig or Norman. But when I pick up Beanut and take him out of the cage Norman and LIL Pig IMMEDIATELY start fighting. And like not the normal little squabble, like lots of chattering on both ends. Chasing each other, getting very aggressive. It starts with Lil Pig chasing Norman and escalates.

So as soon, literally the second I put Beanut back in the cage, even if there mid fight they will stop. And all will be peaceful again. And it makes no sense to me. Beanut isn’t even the most dominant pig in the cage yet he stops all the conflicts. I have to cut lap time short for Beanut and put him back so the two will stop fighting.

I really wanna know if somebody knows what’s going on or has a similar problem?

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I think I know what at least part of your problem may be.

First off, how old are your pigs?

They will hit puberty around 6 months of age, and sometimes sooner (My boy Punkin hit it around 5 mos.) This is the point where they start to establish a cage hierarchy, meaning who will be the boss pig and who will be the submissive.

3 boars will generally be fine before this stage. Once they hit puberty, all bets are off. 3 boars virtually NEVER work. I've tried it myself and it failed miserably, and this is likely where you are headed as well.

My suggestion would be to leave the two pigs who get along best together, and either rehome the third or adopt a 4th who will live with your remaining boar in a completely separate cage.

Poopmaster

Cavy Gazer
I think I know what at least part of your problem may be.

First off, how old are your pigs?

They will hit puberty around 6 months of age, and sometimes sooner (My boy Punkin hit it around 5 mos.) This is the point where they start to establish a cage hierarchy, meaning who will be the boss pig and who will be the submissive.

3 boars will generally be fine before this stage. Once they hit puberty, all bets are off. 3 boars virtually NEVER work. I've tried it myself and it failed miserably, and this is likely where you are headed as well.

My suggestion would be to leave the two pigs who get along best together, and either rehome the third or adopt a 4th who will live with your remaining boar in a completely separate cage.

lil pig is a year and 3 months, Norman is about a little over a year and beanut is 9 months old.

I am worried the two skinnies will end up not liking each other in the future because they can’t get along alone so that might be my options

Poopmaster

Cavy Gazer
I’ve had piggies that don’t like each other in the past but they will make it obvious. But Norman and Lil Pig love each other they chase each other while popcorning and snuggle and are able to share food but only if Beanut is in the cage. Could it have something to do with Beanut not hitting puberty yet?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
If Beanut is nine months old, he's in the full throes of puberty.

[MENTION=45598]Poopmaster[/MENTION], can you take them all three out in a play area, and sit on the floor with Beanut in your lap?

For what it's worth, I think it's more important to keep them from fighting than it is for you to hold one pig at a time. You might be able to do that a little later in their lives, but I'd do everything possible to keep the peace right now.

Poopmaster

Cavy Gazer
If Beanut is nine months old, he's in the full throes of puberty.

@Poopmaster, can you take them all three out in a play area, and sit on the floor with Beanut in your lap?

For what it's worth, I think it's more important to keep them from fighting than it is for you to hold one pig at a time. You might be able to do that a little later in their lives, but I'd do everything possible to keep the peace right now.

ok so I tested it out, and they fight less when they’re in the playpen. It’s not perfect, but it’s a lot better.. Hopefully once they get used to going to the pen alone together they’ll feel better about it. But this advice has really helped so far, thanks!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.