Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Cleaning How to clean stubborn urine stains?

NewbyGuinea

Cavy Slave
Hello everyone,

I am new here, I am NewbyGuinea. I have a question for a friend, any help would be very much appreciated.

They have a cage that looks like this: https://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/midwest-homes-for-pets-mid-west-guinea-pig-habitat/6000198198953

Over time, the urine seeped through the cage and onto the tiles (my friend did not notice). This is now what it looks like:

20200423_181126.jpg

This is what it looked like before:
20200423_175316.jpg

They tried applying vinegar, and a few days later, a bit of CLR onto a tile, but it didn't seem to work. Or they might have applied them incorrectly. Can somebody please help with this?

I apologize in advance for anything I may do wrong with a post; I'm still trying to figure out how image attachment works and so on. Thank you for your patience and thank you so so much in advance for your tips! I hope everyone is taking care during theses times.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Those look like fairly cheap linoleum tiles, and it may be that the urine has just etched the surface finish off the tiles. I'm not sure anything can be done. They could prevent further damage by stopping the passage of urine through the bottom of the Midwest cage.

NewbyGuinea

Cavy Slave
Those look like fairly cheap linoleum tiles, and it may be that the urine has just etched the surface finish off the tiles. I'm not sure anything can be done. They could prevent further damage by stopping the passage of urine through the bottom of the Midwest cage.

Thanks so much, bpatters! We are unable to identify what type of tiles they are. When they wet the tile and add water, it seems to go back to its original colour.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.