Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

New preggo guinea pig

Hayden

Cavy Gazer
I found an ad on craigslist for 2 very cute guinea pigs and decided to go get them! The oldest one was for me and her baby was for my sister (they still share a cage). The owner was very sweet and gave me a great deal on a cage for them. The only problem is that the momma is pregnant again and idk exactly what to do. I have a second cage ready for any boy babies she might have, but how do I rehome the males? (I'll probably keep one if there is any females) I've never put a guinea pig up for adoption before and I really want them to go to good homes! Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Also, I live near nahunta, GA if you are interested in adopting one of the babies!

tilly

Cavy Slave
You could always post an ad on gumtree but it may depend on what country your in

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hayden

Cavy Gazer
Thank you, I'll look into it. Also I'm in the US.

tilly

Cavy Slave
Ok I’m pretty sure that gumtree runs in the US

MaiaBex

Cavy Slave
You could also check with animal shelters near you to see if any of them will take guinea pigs. Or post a listing with GP Finder (there's a link at the top of the forum).

Good luck!

Hayden

Cavy Gazer
Even if the shelters near me did take them I wouldn't ever give the babies to them. As far as I know all the shelters near me are kill shelters and the "no kill" shelters just transfer the animals they don't want to the kill shelters. :(

MaiaBex

Cavy Slave
Even if the shelters near me did take them I wouldn't ever give the babies to them. As far as I know all the shelters near me are kill shelters and the "no kill" shelters just transfer the animals they don't want to the kill shelters. :(

Yikes... Not good at all! The shelters we have around here (central Indiana) don't do that. Yeah...no. Forget the shelters. GP Finder is still an option. Maybe newspaper listing or word of mouth. I don't know if PetFinder or Petango do private listings or just shelter listings, but you could look into those sites.

I hope you find good homes for the babies when they get here. We're rooting for you!

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Wherever you list them, be sure to specify a price high enough to keep people from buying them to feed to snakes. If you really like people who want to adopt, you can always waive the fee, but charging one is the only way to weed out the people who just want them for food for another animal.

Hayden

Cavy Gazer
Idk how to edit posts, but I think shes in labor!!!

tilly

Cavy Slave

If your able to you should call your local vet clinic

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
There's no need to call a vet just because she's in labor. What you should do is keep an eye on her and make sure she's not laboring for hours without delivering a pup. A large pup can get stuck in the birth canal, and that's a full-on emergency. But if the pups are coming, just leave her be, but keep an eye on things.

tilly

Cavy Slave

Has your guinea pig given birth yet?

Hayden

Cavy Gazer
Im pretty sure it was a false alarm. She was acting weird and cleaning herself a lot so I jumped to conclusions. :/ I'll make sure to post pics of the babies when they finally come though!

tilly

Cavy Slave
Im pretty sure it was a false alarm. She was acting weird and cleaning herself a lot so I jumped to conclusions. :/ I'll make sure to post pics of the babies when they finally come though!

Ok cool and good luck with your girls.

tilly

Cavy Slave
Any new news now

Hayden

Cavy Gazer
She had her babies! All 6 of them seem very healthy! received_309367636720480.jpg

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Cute pups!

FYI, if you don't already know, you need to separate the males from the females at 21 days of age.

Hayden

Cavy Gazer
I know, but thank you!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.