Thread: Hi everyone! New here and need some help...

Cavy Newbie
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Exclamation Hi everyone! New here and need some help...

Hi
    I'm not gonna lie, I had no plans to currently get a guinea pig. I went over to my mom's apartment and took the trash out and this little box moved and inside was this little calico colored pig... So here I am help please! I bought food, a house, a cage, fleece, a water bottle and a dish to get threw tonight till I could read what to do.

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: Hi everyone! New here and need some help...

Iím a pretty New Guinea pig owner myself but I think first thing you should do when you can is schedule an appointment with a vet that sees exotic pets for a wellness check, knowing that you found the piggy outside who knows how long heís been there. Also to find out the gender. Guinea pigs need another Guinea pig friend because they are herd animals and need that comfort.

make sure your GP always has hay to eat. Fresh veggies daily ( I give mines lettuce and bell pepper twice a day for breakfast and dinner, and carrots as snacks). My piggies are pretty picky about their hay. They donít like hard and tough Timothy hay so I feed orchard grass hay. Fruits are okay to be given once a week. Make sure to read up online about what foods you can and cannot give guinea pigs, as there a lot you cannot feed them.. (iceberg lettuce is no good for them)
    they also need vitamin c like humans do as they do not produce their own. I will give my pigs oranges occasionally. Bell peppers have vitamin c as well.

google has a lot of information as far as diet.

Thanks
    Thanks
    7,331 Rec'd/5,843 Posts
    Mentioned
    2050 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3926 Post(s)

Welcome! And thanks for saving this piggy!

Here's some recommended reading for new pig owners: https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum...nea-pig-owners

Thanks
    Thanks
    103 Rec'd/94 Posts
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Quoted
    70 Post(s)

bpatters' link is fantastic, and this site will really help you, too! www.guineapigmanual.com

Thank you for saving your piggy! They're wonderful pets with so much personality. It sounds like you're doing great so far If you have any questions, ask away!

User Tag List