Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Frustrated Is she pregnant?

K4tr1n4

Cavy Slave
My mom said that we are not going to the vet so I need help. I got two guinea pigs (girls for sure) 2 weeks ago and they were mixed up in the pet store with boys so there’s a chance she can be pregnant. She’s little (like 2-4 months old) and I’m new with guinea pigs. So here’s why I think she’s pregnant: 1) she doesn’t like to be picked up (the other one already used to it) 2) she eats and drinks A LOT MORE then the other one 3) she’s not moving that much but last few days she was running so idk 4)my other guinea pig always smells her but (I heard somewhere it could be) and my other guinea pig dominates a lot
787bf6290ca6bbf486c4715453472afb.jpg

d768b02fc7d7e50e8e79d2f730e75cf4.jpg

638bec5261aa1926ad5d96b95b3ed296.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

K4tr1n4

Cavy Slave
She doesn’t show any signs of illness that you said she’s perfectly fine and yesterday and today she was really energetic. Thank you so much for explaining it all I’m hoping she’s not pregnant but I feel like there’s 60% chance that she is.

mummytomyboys

Cavy Gazer
She doesn't look it, but if you can't take her to the vet when necessary, then maybe you shouldn't have a pet just yet.

Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk

K4tr1n4

Cavy Slave
She doesn't look it, but if you can't take her to the vet when necessary, then maybe you shouldn't have a pet just yet.

Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk

But I don’t have extra 100 dollars to spend on vets that just gonna scan her and if she’s not pregnant it’s just money on the wind (and we bought these gp with our savings (350$) bc I really wanted them. It’s not my fault that she’s pregnant but pet store were I bought them. I asked here before doing anything else bc idk for sure and then if needed I’ll go to the vets. So don’t come at me knowing nothing ab the situation.

K4tr1n4

Cavy Slave
From these pictures she doesn't look pregnant to me but if she was with males it very possible that she is.

To address your questions: 1. She doesn't like to be picked up - It's possible that she is more shy than her cagemate and may need more time to feel comfortable
2. She eats and drinks more than her cagemate - that can be a sign of pregnancy but it could also be normal.
3. She's not moving much in the past few days - that might be a little concerning. Is she showing any signs of illness such as sneezing, coughing or runny eyes or nose? Keep a close eye on her and please contact a
veterinarian if you suspect that she might be sick. They can go downhill in a very short time.
4. My other guinea pig always smells her - My pigs smell each other a lot. that's not usually a big concern unless one of them has an infection, such as a urinary tract infection or possibly one of them is in heat.
5. My other pigs dominates her - that is normal with most pigs. One of them is the dominate one and one is often the passive one. They will usually work out who is going to be the head of the house. The problem
start when one decides that she is going to fight for dominance. I don't think you see that in females as much as males. Most girls will get along nicely. Of course, there is always the exception.

She's a cute little pig and I really hope she isn't pregnant. I'm not sure how to post a link about pregnancy but I'm sure someone else will come on and give you that link. Please don't hesitate to ask any questions. Everyone on this forum is so helpful. Please keep us posted on how she is doing.

She’s getting bigger and fatter. I was checking her weight every few days and she gained 100 grams in 10 days. Is that normal?

furrytaters

Cavy Slave
Here's a page on guinea pig weight. https://www.guinealynx.info/weigh.html

The weight gain depends on how old she is. They tend to gain weight really fast when they're brand new pups, and older piggies tend to gain weight slowly over time. She looks young but doesn't appear to be a brand new baby, so I'd say that 100 gram gain in a little over a week is definitely something to watch out for. It could be fine and she's finally used to the new living arrangements at your house and starting to eat more because it's less stressful than being in the pet store, or it could be that she's pregnant.

You might read online that you can feel the pups in their belly. This is true if you know what you're doing, but if you're not careful, it can harm the babies or the mom. If you think she's pregnant, I would recommend not handling her that much other than during the weekly health checks just to be cautious. I hope she's not pregnant! Good luck being a new guinea pig mom!

I had two girls that were pregnant last year. One of them was pregnant with 5 pups and looked like a balloon, the other one only had 1 baby and didn't show at all, unfortunately, neither of them had a happy ending. Here are pictures of my girls for reference. This was about time to pop for both of them.

IMG_2614.jpgIMG_2663.jpg

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
There's no point in taking her to a vet unless you suspect there's something wrong.

She may be pregnant, she may not be. If you wait long enough, you'll know for sure. That link I gave you listed some ways you can definitely know if they're pregnant, and at about what time those signs appear.

The main thing she needs because she may be pregnant is the same thing she needs because she's a young pig -- good quality hay and pellets, and a cup or so of fresh veggies every day.

K4tr1n4

Cavy Slave

The weight gain depends on how old she is. They tend to gain weight really fast when they're brand new pups, and older piggies tend to gain weight slowly over time. She looks young but doesn't appear to be a brand new baby, so I'd say that 100 gram gain in a little over a week is definitely something to watch out for. It could be fine and she's finally used to the new living arrangements at your house and starting to eat more because it's less stressful than being in the pet store, or it could be that she's pregnant.

You might read online that you can feel the pups in their belly. This is true if you know what you're doing, but if you're not careful, it can harm the babies or the mom. If you think she's pregnant, I would recommend not handling her that much other than during the weekly health checks just to be cautious. I hope she's not pregnant! Good luck being a new guinea pig mom!

I had two girls that were pregnant last year. One of them was pregnant with 5 pups and looked like a balloon, the other one only had 1 baby and didn't show at all, unfortunately, neither of them had a happy ending. Here are pictures of my girls for reference. This was about time to pop for both of them.

View attachment 86943View attachment 86944

What about nipples (when cats or dogs are pregnant they’re getting bigger and you can feel them without any trying) is that the same with guinea pigs? Bc the kinda popping but how do they look like she they are not pregnant?

K4tr1n4

Cavy Slave

View attachment 86943View attachment 86944

19ca0733278bc2fab78a9fa9a46b4c8c.jpg

7eeefc3314a3a586b978d0cb05aabd8f.jpg

a80bbcfb000245e03ae716503145e059.jpg

746e5fa0d4f6c006724084d7f5f3c1c8.jpg

That’s how she looks now and her weight went from 20 April - 520 g to 1 may - 674 g

K4tr1n4

Cavy Slave
There's no point in taking her to a vet unless you suspect there's something wrong.

She may be pregnant, she may not be. If you wait long enough, you'll know for sure. That link I gave you listed some ways you can definitely know if they're pregnant, and at about what time those signs appear.

The main thing she needs because she may be pregnant is the same thing she needs because she's a young pig -- good quality hay and pellets, and a cup or so of fresh veggies every day.

Sorry can you answer idk if you’ve seen what I replied but can you check?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
She may be pregnant. It's possible she's not.

My question is, why do you have to know right now? Nothing will change about her care, she doesn't need to see a vet unless she has problems, and if you're a little patient, you'll soon know for sure.

K4tr1n4

Cavy Slave

My question is, why do you have to know right now? Nothing will change about her care, she doesn't need to see a vet unless she has problems, and if you're a little patient, you'll soon know for sure.

I just need to know bc I don’t want to hurt her by accident or if I need to pick her up only for a reason and not to play with her. Idk I just don’t want to messed up like I did with my bunny and I really want to be a great owner. And also I’m stubborn so if I want to know something I need to know it no matter what

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Well, you don't actually NEED to know. You just WANT to know.

If she's pregnant, she will eventually get so large that you shouldn't pick her up. That's usually a week or so before delivery. If you have to pick her up before then, you should do so the same way you would if she weren't pregnant -- one hand underneath supporting her whole torso, another on top to keep her from jumping.

If you want to be a great owner, read the links found in here: https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/threads/113176-Information-for-new-guinea-pig-owners.

K4tr1n4

Cavy Slave

Just a little update here. I have to guinea pigs Amelia (in the picture) and Tamika they both are definitely pregnant. I separated them bc they were fighting and biting each other. Is that bc of the pregnancy or bc they don’t like each other?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
It may be neither. How large is the cage?

Your pictures above look like a pet store cage, which is definitely not large enough for two sows, and WAY too small for two sows and pups. The pups will get their ears eaten.

K4tr1n4

Cavy Slave
It may be neither. How large is the cage?

Your pictures above look like a pet store cage, which is definitely not large enough for two sows, and WAY too small for two sows and pups. The pups will get their ears eaten.

It is a pet store cage but I made it in to c&c cage but I can’t buy a normal c&c cage bc where are I live there’s no that kind of cages so I need to order it from eBay and I have one more pet store cage that is opened and they can get in there whenever they want

furrytaters

Cavy Slave
If you can't get a C&C cage, the midwest habitat is also a good option. They're sold at petco, petsmart, chewy.com, amazon, etc...
It comes with a divider, which could be used to separate the two girls if they continue to misbehave, or you could keep one in the old cage and one in the midwest habitat. With the divider though, both halves are a little smaller than you'd want for just one guinea pig.

I'd say based on your pictures, it looks like there might be something going on. However, without going to a vet to get xrays, nothing can be said for certain. Since you said that a vet trip is not an option, I'd listen to bpatters who always gives very sound advice on this forum.

They're young, so you should be giving them extra calcium in the form of parsley or a little bit of alfalfa hay and that would really be the only extra thing that would be recommended for pregnant guinea pigs. Maybe give parsley a couple times a week if you can. It's usually very inexpensive at the grocery store, less than $1 for a bunch that would provide a few servings. Other than that, they're pretty self sufficient and their care doesn't change until the last couple of weeks before giving birth. If they're pregnant, then you'll definitely know by that point and probably be able to see the babies kicking. At that point, just be sure not to handle them a lot because it's potentially (but unlikely) harmful to the babies and the mamas could be mildly uncomfortable as they get close to giving birth.

All that being said, I want to reiterate that we can't say for sure without an xray, but I wouldn't worry too much about the '"what if's" and just focus on enjoying your new guineas. If they're pregnant, you'll know soon enough. :eek:

K4tr1n4

Cavy Slave
If you can't get a C&C cage, the midwest habitat is also a good option. They're sold at petco, petsmart, chewy.com, amazon, etc...
It comes with a divider, which could be used to separate the two girls if they continue to misbehave, or you could keep one in the old cage and one in the midwest habitat. With the divider though, both halves are a little smaller than you'd want for just one guinea pig.

I'd say based on your pictures, it looks like there might be something going on. However, without going to a vet to get xrays, nothing can be said for certain. Since you said that a vet trip is not an option, I'd listen to bpatters who always gives very sound advice on this forum.

They're young, so you should be giving them extra calcium in the form of parsley or a little bit of alfalfa hay and that would really be the only extra thing that would be recommended for pregnant guinea pigs. Maybe give parsley a couple times a week if you can. It's usually very inexpensive at the grocery store, less than $1 for a bunch that would provide a few servings. Other than that, they're pretty self sufficient and their care doesn't change until the last couple of weeks before giving birth. If they're pregnant, then you'll definitely know by that point and probably be able to see the babies kicking. At that point, just be sure not to handle them a lot because it's potentially (but unlikely) harmful to the babies and the mamas could be mildly uncomfortable as they get close to giving birth.

All that being said, I want to reiterate that we can't say for sure without an xray, but I wouldn't worry too much about the '"what if's" and just focus on enjoying your new guineas. If they're pregnant, you'll know soon enough. :eek:

Thank you so much for this information and yes I can already feel babies kicking and that’s so weird too feel but so adorable at the same time[emoji7]

furrytaters

Cavy Slave
Thank you so much for this information and yes I can already feel babies kicking and that’s so weird too feel but so adorable at the same time[emoji7]

Of course! Good luck!

I know it's tempting and even the rescue I worked with said that they tend to more or less obsess over and stalk the mamas before they give birth, but if she already doesn't like being picked up then I would try to give her space so she doesn't get unnecessarily stressed. Good luck and I hope you have good news to share in a few weeks :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.