Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Male and Female - now have to be separated!!

  1. #1
    Cavy Slave
    Joined
    Apr 17, 2020
    Posts
    26
    Thanks
    1
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Male and Female - now have to be separated!!

    Hi,

    So I got two Guinea pigs from a private breeder a couple of weeks ago.
    A week in, I found that they are actually male and female (not 2 males like I thought!).

    I have ordered a 2x5 C&c cage but due to the coronavirus situation is has not yet arrived.

    I have temporarily got them separate, one in a big playpen, the other in the store bought cage.

    I get treacle (female) out every evening for an hour run around in the big play pen (where truffle, the male, lives).
    I take truffle out when treacle goes in, so they haven't had any interaction since I found out they are male and female, and caught him mating with her. I'm not sure if they have done it privately in the small cage but as soon as I saw it I separated them.

    Time will tell if Treacle is pregnant and as soon as its safe I'll get truffle neutered.

    My questions:

    Can I reunite them once truffle is neutered?

    If treacle is pregnant, is it safe for me to put them in the c&c cage together?
    I was planning on keeping them separate and splitting the cage in half but so they can still see, hear and talk to each other but they can't be physical.

    How long after she gives birth (if she's pregnant, I'm still not sure) can I let them be together (as long as he is neutered)?

    See attached photos, truffle (male) is in the spotty playpen and Treacle (female) is in the small pet cage.

    As I said, treacle gets an hour in the play pen every evening and they'll have a c&c cage soon.

    Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

  2. #2
    Cavy Slave
    Joined
    Apr 17, 2020
    Posts
    26
    Thanks
    1
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Male and Female - now have to be separated!!

    Oh also, I got the original pet store cage for free and was always planning on buying a larger one, I was never going to have them both in there for long, it was just whilst I waited for the c&c cage to come.
    I was planning on the 2 GP having the 2x5 c&c cage together but then we found out they're male and female which is what created the separation.

    I had already ordered the play pen as wanted to give them the space to run around every day until the c&c cage came!

    Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

  3. #3
    Administrator bpatters's Avatar
    Joined
    Sep 23, 2009
    Location
    Houston
    Posts
    29,105
    Thanks
    189
    Thanks
    7,335 Rec'd/5,845 Posts
    Mentioned
    2051 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3927 Post(s)

    Re: Male and Female - now have to be separated!!

    Good for you for separating them!

    They can go back together once the male has been neutered and you've waited four weeks for the sperm to die -- they're hardy little beasts, and putting them back together sooner can result in an unwanted pregnancy.

    But they can't go back together until then, even if she's pregnant. Females can get pregnant within minutes of giving birth, and if she has a miscarriage and he's in the cage, she'll be pregnant again. That back to back pregnancy is extremely hard on the sow and the second litter of pups.

    Putting them back together if she's pregnant and he's been neutered for four weeks is a bit tricky. Normally, it shouldn't be a problem for him to be in the cage when she gives birth. But you'll have to do full reintroductions after they been apart that long, and that may be pretty close to her delivery date. That might be stressful for her, and not give them both enough time to adjust to being together before the pups arrive. I'd probably opt to wait.

    Here's a thread on pregnancy: https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum...r-along-is-she

  4. #4
    Cavy Slave
    Joined
    Apr 17, 2020
    Posts
    26
    Thanks
    1
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Male and Female - now have to be separated!!

    Quote Originally Posted by bpatters View Post
    Good for you for separating them!

    They can go back together once the male has been neutered and you've waited four weeks for the sperm to die -- they're hardy little beasts, and putting them back together sooner can result in an unwanted pregnancy.

    But they can't go back together until then, even if she's pregnant. Females can get pregnant within minutes of giving birth, and if she has a miscarriage and he's in the cage, she'll be pregnant again. That back to back pregnancy is extremely hard on the sow and the second litter of pups.

    Putting them back together if she's pregnant and he's been neutered for four weeks is a bit tricky. Normally, it shouldn't be a problem for him to be in the cage when she gives birth. But you'll have to do full reintroductions after they been apart that long, and that may be pretty close to her delivery date. That might be stressful for her, and not give them both enough time to adjust to being together before the pups arrive. I'd probably opt to wait.

    Here's a thread on pregnancy: https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum...r-along-is-she
    I'm not actually able to get him neutered yet as I believe he isn't old enough, he's about 10 weeks now.

    So as long as I do a full introduction, I can put them in the same cage as long as..

    1. She's not pregnant
    2. He's been neutered for 4 weeks.
    ??

    Also, is he allowed to be with the male babies after 3 weeks?

    I'll have to separate them of course from the females, are they safe to go in with truffle or do they have to go in a cage separate from truffle and treacle and the ladies?

    Thanks BTW!

    Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

  5. #5
    Cavy Slave
    Joined
    Apr 17, 2020
    Posts
    26
    Thanks
    1
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Male and Female - now have to be separated!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Lauren Oliver View Post
    I'm not actually able to get him neutered yet as I believe he isn't old enough, he's about 10 weeks now.

    So as long as I do a full introduction, I can put them in the same cage as long as..

    1. She's not pregnant
    2. He's been neutered for 4 weeks.
    ??

    Also, is he allowed to be with the male babies after 3 weeks?

    I'll have to separate them of course from the females, are they safe to go in with truffle or do they have to go in a cage separate from truffle and treacle and the ladies?

    Thanks BTW!

    Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
    Also, they are soooo randy!

    Whenever Treacle is in Truffles playpen, they're wheeking and wheeking at each other and Truffle is always trying to get to her and is running all over my lap and the sofa wheeking away!

    Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

  6. #6
    Administrator bpatters's Avatar
    Joined
    Sep 23, 2009
    Location
    Houston
    Posts
    29,105
    Thanks
    189
    Thanks
    7,335 Rec'd/5,845 Posts
    Mentioned
    2051 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3927 Post(s)

    Re: Male and Female - now have to be separated!!

    Yes, any male babies can go in with him at three weeks.

    And yes, he needs to have been neutered for four weeks before he can go in with the female. You're right about him probably being too young. I think most vets want them to be three or four months old before neutering.

  7. #7
    Cavy Slave Candalalala's Avatar
    Joined
    Oct 31, 2018
    Location
    Texas, USA
    Posts
    26
    Thanks
    70
    Thanks
    36 Rec'd/35 Posts
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    57 Post(s)

    Re: Male and Female - now have to be separated!!

    He has to be 650 grams or more to be neutered. My boy hit that at 3 and a half months old.
    Last edited by Candalalala; 04-17-20 at 11:28 pm. Reason: Correction

  8. #8
    Cavy Slave
    Joined
    Apr 17, 2020
    Posts
    26
    Thanks
    1
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Male and Female - now have to be separated!!

    Quote Originally Posted by bpatters View Post
    Yes, any male babies can go in with him at three weeks.

    And yes, he needs to have been neutered for four weeks before he can go in with the female. You're right about him probably being too young. I think most vets want them to be three or four months old before neutering.
    I've been weighing my piggies to make sure they're growing at a healthy weight!

    I just weighed Treacle, my female pig who I suspect is pregnant!
    She's gone up 30g in 3 days!!!

    It says a healthy weight gain is 30-40g a week whilst they're growing.

    I'm guessing she must be pregnant if she's gaining that fast!

    Truffle, the male, has gone up 20g in 3 days!

    Does it sound like she's pregnant?!
    She's definitely not far along enough to see the babies moving etc but she is drinking way more than him and is always eating!

    Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

  9. #9
    Cavy Slave
    Joined
    Apr 17, 2020
    Posts
    26
    Thanks
    1
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Male and Female - now have to be separated!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Candalalala View Post
    He has to be 650 grams or more to be neutered. My boy hit that at 3 and a half months old.
    I've just weighed Truffle today and he's 417g! He's 10 weeks!

    Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

User Tag List

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •