Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)

Exclamation Fleas Or Ticks?

Hello. I was wondering what to do if a guinea pig has fleas and/or mites. I noticed that Cupcake was scratching herself a bunch so I took her to the vet awhile back. But the thing is, her mites test came up negative. So I assumed that I was just being paranoid about her.

Fast forward a couple months and I noticed that there was a flea on my bed. I squash it and discover that it's filled with blood. So.. What do I do? Is there a special shampoo that I could buy for her? I can't really check if actually has them myself or if it's just a coincidence because of the way that her hair is formed. (I think that she's a rosette but I'm not sure because while she's really hairy, she's not as hairy as the ones on Google images.. Anyways..) Does anyone know how I see if she has them and how I should treat them? If she has fleas, then she probably got them from me. I was at my aunt's recently and she has like 5 cats...

Thanks
    Thanks
    512 Rec'd/432 Posts
    Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quoted
    247 Post(s)

Re: Fleas Or Ticks?

If she were mine i would treat her with kitten revolution. Not many guinea pig safe parasite treatments can tackle fleas, but revolution is one that can. All you would need is 1 does, however depending on where you live you may need a vet to prescribe it to be able to buy it.

I know one exception to this is here in Australia where it can be bought over the counter, and several members have been able to order it online from Australian retailers and have it shipped to other countries without problems (however there would be a wait for shipping).

3. "Thank you, Soecara, for this useful post," says:

Thanks
    Thanks
    103 Rec'd/94 Posts
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Quoted
    67 Post(s)

Re: Fleas Or Ticks?

I don't have any experience with fleas, but if you post a pic of Cupcake I'd love to try and tell you her breed! I started a thread about it here https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum...10#post1017610

User Tag List