Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Allergies Aspen Shavings Switched to Paper bedding - Advice on cheap bulk paper bedding

scoottie

Cavy Slave
Due to my piggies now being 4 I wanted them to have a softer bedding so they can snuggle into it but when I switched from Aspen over to paper bedding I noticed I am actually breathing a lot easier. It makes me think that I might be allergic to aspen shavings. Is that strange?
Now with this discovery I am looking for cheap bulk paper bedding options.

MerryFriarTuck

Cavy Slave
Healthy Pet Critter Care bedding is awesome! It's just like carefresh, but cheaper. Walmart has big bags of it that last me over a couple weeks. It's very absorbent, not dusty, good for odor, and thick and soft ( think shredded cardboard vs. paper ). My piggy Friar Tuck loves to make little nests to snuggle in with it :)
I think it's pretty common for people and piggies to have trouble with wood shavings. They can be really dusty, aren't very absorbent, and can get stuck in their fur.

spy9doc

Cavy Slave
I think it's pretty common for people and piggies to have trouble with wood shavings. They can be really dusty, aren't very absorbent, and can get stuck in their fur.

I would recommend that people NEVER consider wood shavings, especially if you have boars. I have seen the shavings get stuck between the penis and the penile sheath and the poor boy can't retract his penis. This must be mighty uncomfortable.

I walked into a local Petco one day and someone had surrendered this beautiful boar who had exactly that same predicament. I asked if I might hold him and asked for a q-tip. I pulled some oil out of my handbag and proceeded to clean his penis right there on the spot. They never forgot me in that store! :p

scoottie

Cavy Slave
I pulled some oil out of my handbag and proceeded to clean his penis right there on the spot. They never forgot me in that store! :p
Haha

scoottie

Cavy Slave
Healthy Pet Critter Care bedding is awesome! It's just like carefresh, but cheaper. Walmart has big bags of it that last me over a couple weeks. It's very absorbent, not dusty, good for odor, and thick and soft ( think shredded cardboard vs. paper ). My piggy Friar Tuck loves to make little nests to snuggle in with it :)
What is the quantity that you can get per bag

SSLee

Cavy Slave
I looked at the following:

Walmart.com - Healthy Pet CritterCare Small Animal Bedding Snowflake 50L - $24.35 - Minimum $35 for free shipping
Chewy.com - Carefresh Small Animal Nesting Natural 60L - price reduction at $19.99 (save an extra $9.00 at checkout) - Minimum $49 for free shipping
Petco.com - So Phresh Crumbled Paper Small Animal Bedding 40L - $17.59 - Minimum $35 for free shipping

Right now, looks like Carefresh from Chewy.com has the best price as long as you can buy $49 of goods. They are running behind about a week on shipping due to the number of orders.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.