Thread: Aspen Shavings Switched to Paper bedding - Advice on cheap bulk paper bedding

Thanks
    Thanks
    75 Rec'd/69 Posts
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Quoted
    75 Post(s)

Aspen Shavings Switched to Paper bedding - Advice on cheap bulk paper bedding

Due to my piggies now being 4 I wanted them to have a softer bedding so they can snuggle into it but when I switched from Aspen over to paper bedding I noticed I am actually breathing a lot easier. It makes me think that I might be allergic to aspen shavings. Is that strange?
    Now with this discovery I am looking for cheap bulk paper bedding options.

Thanks
    Thanks
    1,603 Rec'd/1,315 Posts
    Mentioned
    607 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1178 Post(s)

Re: Aspen Shavings Switched to Paper bedding - Advice on cheap bulk paper bedding

Quote Originally Posted by scoottie View Post
    Now with this discovery I am looking for cheap bulk paper bedding options.
    Is there any such thing as cheap options? I rather like Petco's So Phresh crumbled paper litter. It seems to be reasonably priced and is superb at controlling odor.

https://www.petco.com/shop/en/petcostore/product/so-phresh-crumbled-paper-small-animal-bedding

Thanks
    Thanks
    103 Rec'd/94 Posts
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Quoted
    67 Post(s)

Re: Aspen Shavings Switched to Paper bedding - Advice on cheap bulk paper bedding

Healthy Pet Critter Care bedding is awesome! It's just like carefresh, but cheaper. Walmart has big bags of it that last me over a couple weeks. It's very absorbent, not dusty, good for odor, and thick and soft ( think shredded cardboard vs. paper ). My piggy Friar Tuck loves to make little nests to snuggle in with it
    I think it's pretty common for people and piggies to have trouble with wood shavings. They can be really dusty, aren't very absorbent, and can get stuck in their fur.

Thanks
    Thanks
    1,603 Rec'd/1,315 Posts
    Mentioned
    607 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1178 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MerryFriarTuck View Post
    I think it's pretty common for people and piggies to have trouble with wood shavings. They can be really dusty, aren't very absorbent, and can get stuck in their fur.
    I would recommend that people NEVER consider wood shavings, especially if you have boars. I have seen the shavings get stuck between the penis and the penile sheath and the poor boy can't retract his penis. This must be mighty uncomfortable.

I walked into a local Petco one day and someone had surrendered this beautiful boar who had exactly that same predicament. I asked if I might hold him and asked for a q-tip. I pulled some oil out of my handbag and proceeded to clean his penis right there on the spot. They never forgot me in that store!

Thanks
    Thanks
    75 Rec'd/69 Posts
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Quoted
    75 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by spy9doc View Post

I pulled some oil out of my handbag and proceeded to clean his penis right there on the spot. They never forgot me in that store!
    Haha

Thanks
    Thanks
    75 Rec'd/69 Posts
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Quoted
    75 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MerryFriarTuck View Post
    Healthy Pet Critter Care bedding is awesome! It's just like carefresh, but cheaper. Walmart has big bags of it that last me over a couple weeks. It's very absorbent, not dusty, good for odor, and thick and soft ( think shredded cardboard vs. paper ). My piggy Friar Tuck loves to make little nests to snuggle in with it
    What is the quantity that you can get per bag

Thanks
    Thanks
    33 Rec'd/31 Posts
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)

I looked at the following:

Walmart.com - Healthy Pet CritterCare Small Animal Bedding Snowflake 50L - $24.35 - Minimum $35 for free shipping
    Chewy.com - Carefresh Small Animal Nesting Natural 60L - price reduction at $19.99 (save an extra $9.00 at checkout) - Minimum $49 for free shipping
    Petco.com - So Phresh Crumbled Paper Small Animal Bedding 40L - $17.59 - Minimum $35 for free shipping

Right now, looks like Carefresh from Chewy.com has the best price as long as you can buy $49 of goods. They are running behind about a week on shipping due to the number of orders.

8. "Thank you, SSLee, for this useful post," says:

User Tag List