Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Sick Help with guinea

Abcgirl

Cavy Gazer
Here's my situation:
- I am in the heart of the pandemic, I have contracted coronavirus and cannot legally leave until it's over (7 days after symptoms, I am still symptomatic)
- I have worked on farms and as a vet tech and have some animal medical supplies and can order some to my door.
I cannot leave. I cannot take my girl to a vet.

Here is the story
A few weeks ago some neighbors found two guinea pigs discarded by the roadside. I walked by and they suggested I take them. They were very small. I knew NOTHING about guinea pigs but they were so cute I did take them.
Came home cleaned up all their stuff and had my kid name them.
When I was researching pigs I figured they were mini guinea pigs because they were so small compared to the ones in the videos etc.

One was clearly a pregnant female.
So time passed they got full size they are so delightful. I separated them as birth approached they are now in separate domains.

As birth approached my momma stopped having kicks in her belly.
Three days later she had one huge stillborn and one little live baby.
It's now been 4 days.

Baby is super healthy and awesommmmmee but mommy does not seem to be faring well. Attached are photos
The only symptoms she shows are flank hair loss sumettrical on both sides and her pads/paws being raw/rough. The baby guinea does not have hair loss of any form. It does not seem to be mites of any form after all they are indoor pigs.

Now I do see her belly looks a bit bloated. At first she got so skinny I was laughing because she went from giant basketball to thin beauty queen overnight but now I do see some. I theorize this is ovarian cyst growth and may have even been part of why she spotted during pregnancy.

I cannot take her to a vet yet, I am not legally allowed to nor would I want to expose any vets or vet staff to covid. Please let me know your thoughts on her hair loss. Nothing else has changed except the cage bedding which went from cedar to pine. I tried all the other soft fabrics and liners but they carried smell too much for our space.

Baby guinea is awesome growing every day healthy no hair loss super cute. I've attached a pic of him cause he's so cute. I can received deliveries but cannot access the outside world so anything that can be bought online would be helpful. I have some meds and tools here. Let me know any suggestions. Except that we can't see a vet yet. Pandemic America after all

Attachments

20200406_141910.jpg 20200406_142010.jpg 20200406_141947.jpg 20200406_141843.jpg

Abcgirl

Cavy Gazer
Also she has no hair loss around eyes face or mouth20200406_141639.jpg

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
My guess is that she had very poor nourishment during the early part of her pregnancy, and that what you're seeing is a result of that. That's particularly true if the other pig isn't also losing hair.

I'd start with vitamin C -- 100 mg a day for a week, then cut back to about 35-40 mg. You can use a plain vitamin C tablet, or purchase something like Vita Drops. Just don't put it in the water bottle, as it will degrade almost immediately. You can dissolve it a bit of water or juice and syringe it to her if that's easier.

Make sure she's got unlimited high quality pellets (Oxbow or KMS Hayloft are by far the best), and good timothy (or other grass hay). If she eats veggies, fed her a cup or a little more per day. Include red or green leaf lettuce and bell pepper as staples, and you can add other things if she'll take those. KMS Hayloft pellets are available online from their site, and both are available from Amazon. Small Pet Select and American Pet Diner both have excellent hay you can get online.

FYI, it was unnecessary to separate them, and when you put them back together, you'll have to do full reintroductions. If the baby is a male, he'll have to be separated from the females at 3 weeks of age or he can impregnate them. Is the other pig male or female?

Also FYI, there's no such thing a miniature guinea pig.

Here's some recommended reading for new pig owners: https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/threads/113176-Information-for-new-guinea-pig-owners

Abcgirl

Cavy Gazer
I separated the father and mother. The mother and her male baby are together. I don't want her getting pregnant again by the stunningly handsome father of the baby ahahhahaha. The male guinea pig is also doing very well no hair loss handsome as can be 20200405_164605.jpgand so is baby male. I'll get the drops! Thank you!

Here's a pic of dad.
There's three guinea total. Only two together rn. I also introduced the baby to dad and keep them around eachother sometimes since baby will.move to dad's cage when he gets old enough and mom will be on her own or fixed.

My guess is that she had very poor nourishment during the early part of her pregnancy, and that what you're seeing is a result of that. That's particularly true if the other pig isn't also losing hair.

I'd start with vitamin C -- 100 mg a day for a week, then cut back to about 35-40 mg. You can use a plain vitamin C tablet, or purchase something like Vita Drops. Just don't put it in the water bottle, as it will degrade almost immediately. You can dissolve it a bit of water or juice and syringe it to her if that's easier.

Make sure she's got unlimited high quality pellets (Oxbow or KMS Hayloft are by far the best), and good timothy (or other grass hay). If she eats veggies, fed her a cup or a little more per day. Include red or green leaf lettuce and bell pepper as staples, and you can add other things if she'll take those. KMS Hayloft pellets are available online from their site, and both are available from Amazon. Small Pet Select and American Pet Diner both have excellent hay you can get online.

FYI, it was unnecessary to separate them, and when you put them back together, you'll have to do full reintroductions. If the baby is a male, he'll have to be separated from the females at 3 weeks of age or he can impregnate them. Is the other pig male or female?

Also FYI, there's no such thing a miniature guinea pig.

Here's some recommended reading for new pig owners: https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/threads/113176-Information-for-new-guinea-pig-owners

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Sorry, I thought the other pig was a sow! Please don't put the female with either of the two males once the baby is three weeks old. He can go in with dad.

Abcgirl

Cavy Gazer
Sorry, I thought the other pig was a sow! Please don't put the female with either of the two males once the baby is three weeks old. He can go in with dad.

Phew thank goodness you told me for some reason I thought it was 4 weeks. I don't want any accidents. Dad and his son get on quite well we let em run around Abit. Mom is skittish but dad is fun af and loves to sleep on laps getting pets and hang out on the sofa.

Abcgirl

Cavy Gazer
I would not risk the mom to be fixed. Two males with a female will not work unless you have a giant herd of females. Even with them being a family to us, it works different in the piggy world. A female is a female and they will fight over her.
She could be kept alone... Or you could get another female for her to be with. :)

Thanks for that as well. Idk how she will do on her own she seems more high strung than the dad so maybe I can find a female to be with her. I was trying to limit my guineas but if I have to have two cages anyways well then!!!!! 😂😂😂😂 Who's to say no when it comes to the livelihood of the guineas???
I have pretty nice setups if I say so myself could definitely fit more in here... Hmmmmm

Thanks!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.