Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Need Help Identifying Skin Problem and Advice

Hi all! This is my first time posting on something like this, so thank you for your patience and understanding. My guinea pig is a five year old white crested and for the time that we've had him he's been pretty low maintenance. A couple of months ago I started noticing that he was itching his rump a little more than usual, but didn't think anything of it since it didn't seem like excessive itching. Then, I started noticing that when I scratched his rump he would cock his head to the side and chew on whatever surface was there (that's the best way I could describe it). I took it as his being sensitive about touching his rump since he's always been a little skittish like, and again didn't think much of it. After that, I started noticing white flakes in his fur near his rump that looked to me like dandruff. The only weird part about it is that when I went to pull these patches of dandruff, hair came with it. It was one or two hairs with these patches of dandruff. When I looked closer to his butt, there were black specks on the roots of the hair. When I picked it up and squeezed it between my nails, it just squished into white stuff and looked like dandruff patches. I've looked everywhere and haven't been able to find any posts with people describing the same thing happening to their guinea pig. I can only assume it's mites, but I don't know for sure because I feel like with how long I believe he's had this there would be more hair loss. I realize that I should have looked more into this when I first started noticing the itching, and that's something I've come to deeply regret. The vet isn't an option as I'm in quarantine for the Covid-19 outbreak, and I don't know if I'll be able to afford the vet once life gets back to normal. I'd appreciate any ideas/tips/advice/responses on how to help my little guy.

Thanks
    Thanks
    509 Rec'd/430 Posts
    Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quoted
    245 Post(s)

Re: Need Help Identifying Skin Problem and Advice

Any chance you could post some photos of the issue? It sounds like it could be a fungal infection or lice. Either of which can be treated at home but we need to be able to tell which it is to be able to direct you to the right treatment. It doesn't sound like mites as they don't usually cause dandruff like patches on the skin, and they are microscopic and burrow under the skin.

Lice on guinea pigs are usually tan or black, it is common in cases of bad infestations for them to hang out on the top of the neck in the patch of fur between the ears, if you part the fur where they are and look with a light you will be able to see them move.

Even if you can't see active lice if you post a photo of the white stuff attached to the fur, close up, focused, and well lit, we should be able to see if it is a lice nit or a fungal related issue.

User Tag List