Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Exclamation My piggies wont eat their pellets

So I have Sherwood Timothy hay based pellets and my piggies wont eat them. I also got a sample of the other pellets which they wont eat. I always throw away the pellets during cage cleaning because they don't touch them or sometimes there is poop in the bowls. I put forage in the bowls to see if they would eat them but they eat only the forage. I used to give them oxbow pellets but when I mix some oxbow pellets in there they don't eat them. They eat all the hay so they don't have a problem with hay. I am worried but any tips so they can eat them? I have thought if i made cookies with the pellets in them would be a great idea but I am not sure.

Thanks
    Thanks
    692 Rec'd/529 Posts
    Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Quoted
    448 Post(s)

Re: My piggies wont eat their pellets

Fresh, unlimited Timothy hay and fresh clean water are the most important things in their diet. Pellets are secondary, and a lot of pigs don't get them at all. They ARE however a source of stabilized vitamin C so if your pigs don't eat them, be sure to supplement them with Vitamin C rich foods like bell pepper slices, or use a supplement like Oasis Vitamin C drops.
    Last edited by Guinea Pig Papa; 04-06-20 at 04:54 pm.

3. "Thank you, Guinea Pig Papa, for this useful post," says:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    91 Rec'd/86 Posts
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quoted
    81 Post(s)

Re: My piggies wont eat their pellets

How long has this been going on? It takes my pigs several days, or maybe even a week to get used to new pellets, but then after that they're squeaking as excitedly about it as they did the old one. If you keep giving it to them, they should eventually start to eat it.

5. "Thank you, Beatrix187, for this useful post," says:

User Tag List