Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Fleece House question

Batman

Cavy Gazer
Hi all, new to the form. I build our daughters Guinea pigs (3 of them ) a ' house' . It has multiple levels and because it's made of wood, i cut fleece and stuck it down with carpet tape.
We would like to have a second set of fleece so we can wash one and have the second one ready to put in . My question is... is there a better way to hold down the fleece? The diy velcro I found says that it will not attach to fabric, which I find odd .
And thoughts would be great.
Thank you

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Fleece only works if it has an absorbent layer underneath it -- it wicks the liquid through to what is under it. You'll have to put wood pellets/pee pads/uhaul blankets/other absorbent material underneath. There are several threads on the use of fleece in the forums.

You also need to completely protect the wood from the urine, or the cage will soon stink so bad you can't stand it. You can use coroplast (seal the seams with glue), or a big piece of plastic, or a shower curtain, or linoleum, or other waterproof materials. Just don't let the pigs get to it, or they'll eat it (not the coroplast, but all the rest of it).

And I'm sorry you didn't find us earlier, because we'd have told you that a house with multiple levels is not suitable for guinea pigs. They need a large flat area to run around in. If you have ramps and levels, you'll have to have walls. Their eyes are on the sides of their heads, like horses, so they have no depth perception, and will walk off the edge of anything, no matter how high.

Here's some recommended reading for new pig owners: https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/threads/113176-Information-for-new-guinea-pig-owners

And there are a gazillion pictures of cages in the photo galleries to give you ideas.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.