Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Guinea heat timeline question

2 weeks ago I got a second female guinea pig to live with my 1 year old female. They've been getting along great until this week. My oldest is now rumble strutting constantly and it's been going on pretty much all week, though I can't remember exactly when it started. I know she's in heat today based on what her privates look like, but is it normal for her to be rumble strutting this long?? Is it a combination of dominance and being in heat? Should I separate them until she's done being in heat, so she's not constantly chasing the little one? Her rumbles are keeping me up at night and I'm at a loss at what to do.

Thanks
    Thanks
    7,330 Rec'd/5,842 Posts
    Mentioned
    2050 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3926 Post(s)

Re: Guinea heat timeline question

Usually heat is 1-2 days every 14-16 days.

How old is the new pig? Excessive rumbling can be a sign of ovarian cysts, but they don't usually occur before a pig is about three years old or so.

Pay close attention to how long it actually lasts, and how long between episodes. That'll give you a clue as to whether it's only heat related. If it doesn't follow that pattern, I'd get her to a vet for an ultrasound.

Cavy Newbie
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bpatters View Post
    Usually heat is 1-2 days every 14-16 days.

How old is the new pig? Excessive rumbling can be a sign of ovarian cysts, but they don't usually occur before a pig is about three years old or so.

Pay close attention to how long it actually lasts, and how long between episodes. That'll give you a clue as to whether it's only heat related. If it doesn't follow that pattern, I'd get her to a vet for an ultrasound.
    The new pig is a few months old. A lot smaller than my oldest. Could she be trying to show dominance? She isn't doing it as much today.

Thanks
    Thanks
    7,330 Rec'd/5,842 Posts
    Mentioned
    2050 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3926 Post(s)

Yep, sure could be a dominance thing.

User Tag List