Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    1 Rec'd/1 Post

Floor time and baths?

Hi! Please answer if you can. So I have two male guinea pigs and I was wondering about play time. Should I take them out of there c&c cage and let them run around the room? Should I keep them in there cages and just pet them? I would like to add that my pigs are not tamed and usually don't like being touched. Is there an easier way i can pick them up and put them on my lap without me having to chase them around there cage, grab them, and make them think I'm murdering them? If I do give them floor time do I put toys around the room?

Also quick side note, when should I give my pigs a bath, how often, and what kind of shampoo should I use? Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    1 Rec'd/1 Post

Re: Floor time and baths?

If you're able to, you should try to give your guinea pigs floor time, since it gives them a chance to run around and explore. To make it easier to pick them up, you can herd one into a closed-bottom tube or hidey and then pick that up.

When I let mine out for floor time I block off a section of the room with spare grids so that they can't go under anything. I also made my cage so that one grid can swing out and I made a ramp to go over the coroplast so they can go in and out of the cage themselves. I also scatter veggies around the room to give them something to find.

Cavy Slave
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    1 Rec'd/1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by ChinandLacey View Post
    If you're able to, you should try to give your guinea pigs floor time, since it gives them a chance to run around and explore. To make it easier to pick them up, you can herd one into a closed-bottom tube or hidey and then pick that up.

When I let mine out for floor time I block off a section of the room with spare grids so that they can't go under anything. I also made my cage so that one grid can swing out and I made a ramp to go over the coroplast so they can go in and out of the cage themselves. I also scatter veggies around the room to give them something to find.
    Thanks

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Quoted
    93 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    152 Rec'd/146 Posts

Guinea pigs don’t need regular baths and many are never bathed. Here is a link to a care guide with good info.

http://www.guinealynx.info/healthycavy.html

Cavy Slave
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    1 Rec'd/1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by ItsaZoo View Post
    Guinea pigs donít need regular baths and many are never bathed. Here is a link to a care guide with good info.

http://www.guinealynx.info/healthycavy.html
    Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts

This is one topic I tend to disagree with people on, but Guinea Pigs need baths. I suggest 2-4 times a year. I suggest watching this video.

if my link doesnít work, you search the ultimate guinea pig bathing by saskia that should be it

User Tag List