Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Aggression seperating guinea pig

shubhgaur

Cavy Gazer
i have two guinea pig one got pregnant so in the last week i seperated the two but from then on the male is very agressive. today the female gave birth to two female guinea pig. and now the male is even more agressive he is trying to bite the cage.when i keep the male and female together he immediately try to bang her. he even tried to bang the kids so he hasto be in the other cage.but it makes him impatient and aggresive.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
No, being in the other cage does not make him impatient and aggressive. His hormones do that, and would do so even if he were in with the other pigs. It will help if you move his cage to another room.

Please keep him separated and do not put him with any females. Pregnancy and delivery are VERY hard on guinea pig sows and pups, and the death rate is high. Also, guinea pigs have several genetic conditions that can cause blindness, deafness, wonky or missing teeth, intestinal deformities, and painful, untreatable bone conditions. We NEVER recommend that guinea pigs be allowed to breed. There are enough accidental pregnancies to keep them going without every deliberately breeding them.

You will also have to separate any male pups from the mom and any sisters at three weeks of age, or they can impregnate their mom and sisters. That just increases the chances of a genetic condition.

Smileandnod

Cavy Slave
You absolutely MUST keep the male and female separate.

Pregnancy is VERY hard on female guinea pigs and she can get pregnant right after giving birth...which if she does raises the risk of death for her and her unborn pups.

Some suggestions would be to move the male away from the female cage so he is not as aware she is right there. If that is not possible, make sure the female cage has a lid on it so that he cannot get to them to breed again.

If you want to have them together you can have him neutered. You must use an exotics vet who is knowledgeable in cavy care and who has done the surgery before with good results. Then you MUST wait the designated time period of several weeks to guarantee he is not fertile any longer before reintroducing him to the females.

So unless you get him neutered do not allow him any time with the females even for brief periods under your supervision because as you can see mating can happen within seconds.

Good luck to you and lets hope your female is not pregnant again.

shubhgaur

Cavy Gazer
i know that i have to seperate them and it is very important.i want to know is there any methods to make him calm.like you said to move him to another room.but that is not quite possible.

shubhgaur

Cavy Gazer
btw the new born kids

Attachments

IMG-20200327-WA0037.jpg IMG-20200327-WA0021.jpg

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Not as long as he's next door to the female. You might move him to the other side of the room and see if that helps.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.