Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Need help with ideas for guinea pig loft

I have two guinea pigs and a big cage, but I feel like it's sorta small and want to build a loft for them. My cage is homemade and is not compatible with C&C. I need help with ideas for the loft and ramp. One of my guinea pigs refuses to go up super steep ramps, and the other one is way too fast, so sometimes he can crash into fences. I'm afraid that he might fall off and get hurt. What should I do?

Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

Re: Need help with ideas for guinea pig loft

I am in the process of building my own cage right now, so I figured I’d give a few tips I learned firstly if you are building a ramp 45 degrees is the most you can go as it can be discouraging to guinea pigs especially when they get older to have to go up a steep ramp, secondly make sure you put some sort of border on the sides of it to make it so they can’t fall off the sides. What kind of loft are you thinking about building, and could you attach a picture of your cage?

Thanks
    Thanks
    30 Rec'd/28 Posts
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    15 Post(s)

Have you had a chance to look in this site's Photo galleries? On the top of the screen, next to the Forum tab is a Photo tab. Click that and you will see tens of thousands of pictures that members have shared over the years. There are sections completely devoted to lofts and ramps. I've picked up many a creative idea from looking at the photos and hopefully you will find them to be helpful for your project.

Thanks
    Thanks
    15 Rec'd/14 Posts
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    8 Post(s)

The ramps sold at the GuineaPigPages store are 25" long for a 14" rise, which comes out to about 32.6 degrees... I wouldn't go much steeper than that. Especially if one of your pigs doesn't really like ramps. Definite agree on the railings around the loft though; guinea pigs don't have good depth perception. And SSLee is right -- the Photo galleries are amazing for ideas!

Good luck with your build!

Thanks
    Thanks
    1,596 Rec'd/1,310 Posts
    Mentioned
    605 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1172 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MaiaBex View Post
    The ramps sold at the GuineaPigPages store are 25" long for a 14" rise, which comes out to about 32.6 degrees... I wouldn't go much steeper than that.
    You might want to check out a thread that I made quite some time ago entitled Making a Reinforced Coroplast Ramp. This ramp is very similar to what is sold on the parent site of this forum. That being said, I generally don't have the patience to make my own and just resort to buying it.

https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum...amp?highlight=

6. "Thank you, spy9doc, for this useful post," says:

Thanks
    Thanks
    72 Rec'd/70 Posts
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quoted
    47 Post(s)

An even better idea is a loft that is no more than 6” high so they don’t need a ramp. Taller ramps are sometimes dangerous since guinea pigs can get easily injured from falls. And they don’t really have depth perception so they don’t know how high up they are. A low loft offers open space underneath for hiding.

User Tag List